The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a semi-professional driver that if I have my new tires heat cycled before I first run them on the track, that the tires would last longer, break-in quicker and more evenly. Toyo R1Rs. There are tire shops around here that will heat cycle your tires "correctly" for $15 per. Sounds like money well spent.

My last set I had shaved to 5/32 and they broke in very quickly, but I didn't heat cycle them other than at the track.

I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Toyo R1Rs (my favorite mixed-weather street tire) is a 140 treadwear compound, and doesn't really gain huge advantages from heat cycling. Heat cycling is more likely to benefit a softer, true R compound tire. That said, I love the R1Rs for a mixed duty tire (street/autocross). I took mine out in the wet the other day, and was shocked by how good their wet grip was. I believe the compound used was formulated to take advantage of SCCA "street tires" rules, which require a minimum treadwear of 140. I believe they are the grippiest 140 treadwear tire out there.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It's hard to say, given that there are so many different compounds out there.

Tire Rack will heat cycle your tires for you for $15/tire. Yep, I usually have them do it. You can also do it yourself by running one session hard enough to get your tires to temp but not so hard to run them off... then, take them off the car and let them sit for 24 hours before remounting them to the car. Not always practical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts