The Lotus Cars Community banner

yay or nay?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Such Administrating
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a big debate on this on an old forum...simple, do you let your car warm up in the morning or just get in and drive?

Some say its better to warm up while driving keeping the rev's down while its still warming up, and some say they warm their car up. I like to let mine warm up a little bit before driving because my drive to work is only about 4 miles and it doesn't give the car enough time to warm all the way up.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Of course... 2-3 minutes and i drive off.

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
908 Posts
Start and drive the heck out of it.

Modern car is computerized fuel injected. It's idiot proof.

·
Registered
233 Posts
On my Elise and Evora, I would warm it up to 2 to 3 mins also. When I drive right away after start up The Elise will hesitates if I don't warm it up for 2 1/2 minutes. The Evora seems fine and doesn't hesitate like the Elise when not warmed up. Just lower redline til it is warm.

·
Such Administrating
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Start and drive the heck out of it.

Modern car is computerized fuel injected. It's idiot proof.
Yes fuel injection does, but oil temp is no where near optimum when you first start the car. There is way too many cam failures on these cars to risk that.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I don't think 2 choices is enough. I do let it run a little, maybe 10-30 secs, then drive carefully until oil warms up. But it depends on the temperature. When it's 100 degrees, only as long as it takes to buckle up and check my mirrors; it certainly doesn't take as long to reach normal operating temperature as it does when it's 30 degrees.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
warm up as in drive delicately for several min until everything is up to temp, yesir

warm up as in sit and idle, nosir

·
Registered
668 Posts
summer time i let it warm up 30-40 sec. then drive slowly for 2 miles or so. and in the winter time, i let it warm up for at least 1-2 min, and then slowly drive it until temperature shows 180*

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I don't think 2 choices is enough. I do let it run a little, maybe 10-30 secs, then drive carefully until oil warms up. But it depends on the temperature. When it's 100 degrees, only as long as it takes to buckle up and check my mirrors; it certainly doesn't take as long to reach normal operating temperature as it does when it's 30 degrees.
+1 10 - 30 seconds sounds about right. I get in, Start car, buckle seat belt, adjust radio, check mirrors, get settled. Drive easy until warm.

·
Such Administrating
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
same here.

Straight from the owners manual:

"Allow a cold engine to idle for 10 seconds before driving off, but if ambient temperatures are below freezing allow the engine and screen heating systems to warm up for a few minutes before driving"

Lotus says at least 10 seconds, which is usually about what it takes to buckle up and such. I'm damn sure not going to get straight in and beat on it, I wait at least 5-10 minutes depending on temperature outside for oil temps to rise.

And if its below 55 or so outside, I will let it warm up a minute or 2 before driving.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well, back when I had a BMW 320i, the manual specifically stated to drive the car easily for a few minutes. That is what I do. I don't romp on it until the water temp turns on.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I let mine warm up until it sounds like it runs silky. It doesn't take long for the engine to hit the idle revs and then I give it a bit more - not very long mind you but I also don't drive hard on a cold engine (if you can call it "cold" here in Oklahoma still lol).

·
Premium Member
11,847 Posts
The oil does not get up to correct temp for about 10 minutes after coolant has.

(as per a couple of 2zz engine builders)

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
warm up as in drive delicately for several min until everything is up to temp, yesir

warm up as in sit and idle, nosir
+1. I just drive it gingerly until she's warmed up and ready to rock. You know, kinda like foreplay.......or so I'm told.

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
908 Posts
Oil temp has nothing to do with being modern. Have you not seem the cam failures on these cars? Being a fellow tech I would think your answer would have been different.
Oil temp is the most stable when it's cold. Only the 2 second after starts I afraid there's some friction because of the oil is down. Injector sprayed extra rich for cold combustion in open loop, idle air control is up for higher rpm (just like chooke). Computer limit the second cam during warm up. I think it's completely safe.

Do I warm up? Sometimes when I have time.

People who don't warm up their car has premature engine damage? No.

Does it necessary? For the older car, carburetor, cast iron/aluminum combination engine: yes. Those days, when drive the car cold, feels like the car runs rough, mild misfires due to unstable fuel mixture, going to or die in every intersection, no power (again due to unstable fuel mixture)..

Now days, the car starts and drive normal right away :up:

This is just my opinion. I respect people who warm up their car. I just feel bad for them, because I'll be there first :D

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Had a big debate on this on an old forum...simple, do you let your car warm up in the morning or just get in and drive?

Some say its better to warm up while driving keeping the rev's down while its still warming up, and some say they warm their car up. I like to let mine warm up a little bit before driving because my drive to work is only about 4 miles and it doesn't give the car enough time to warm all the way up.
The best way to warm up a car is to drive it. Gently.

That said, it's not always practical at an autocross, so before my run group I let it idle in the paddock.

Never drive an Elise hard until you see a temp on the dash readout.

My Suburban has a different indicator: Drive gently for as long as it sounds like a diesel. These engines have major piston-slap until warm.

·
Premium Member
11,847 Posts
Never drive an Elise hard until you see a temp on the dash readout.
Not quite. Not just any dash temp, i.e. don't drive hard until coolant is up to full temp + 10 minutes for oil temp to get normal.

For the rest of you, note that even if you let the car idle, that warms up only the engine, not the drivetrain.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts