The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know when I was younger it was the best feeling to get the keys from my dad and go cruising in his BMW M alone. I drove it reasonably well...never did excessive speeding, burnouts, etc. That said, do any of you let your sons, brothers, etc, take the Lotus out? I have a lot of trust within my immediate family (we're close) and would have no problem in them borrowing the car as long as they treat it with respect and don't hammer it. Anyone have similar thoughts? Bad stories? I draw the line with my immediate family though. Friends have to be accompanied by me if they are to ever drive it.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I've never let my wife or other family members drive my Elise (when I had it). One reason is because she can't drive manual and second, it's too fragile a car to let anyone drive it.

There was a thread posted a few years back of someone who let his father drive his Elise. The father crashed it but was able to drive it back home. But when he got home, the father parked the Elise behind his truck or SUV and when he went to move the truck........

·
Registered
545 Posts
I enjoy riding in my car. When I have a friend around that can drive a maunal with some degree of ability, they get the keys. The car sounds, feels, so different in the other seat. I will never forget the first time I went for a ride in my car before I bought it..... I will never forget.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Dad lets me drive his Elise every once and a while. Most of the time its under his supervision, but i've driven it alone once or twice. Only time i've ever driven it hard was the track day we split, and even then i wasn't that hard on the car. I appreciate the trust, and don't feel like losing it by messing up the car.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I wouldnt just because of the car. Too many factors. You have to watch of for everything in the road, high driveways, parallel parking, etc etc. O yeah, mid engine life.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Pretty much I've let everybody who asked nicely drive the car. It's not a rare, unreplaceable item nor is it even really expensive. I like sharing my excitement with others and I guess that's what insurance is for.

·
Registered
222 Posts
my wife yes, other people only if i am in the car... and only for a little bit.
I don't think is a good idea to lend the car out because how can you not "try" it out!!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I wouldnt just because of the car. Too many factors. You have to watch of for everything in the road, high driveways, parallel parking, etc etc. O yeah, mid engine life.
I agree with you, this car needs a bit of skill and experience to handle it. Parking, driveways and simple things become obstacles. The fragility and the invisibility in traffic must be taken account while driving.

That said, I let my daughter to drive (she's experienced with manual shift) WHEN I'M IN THE PASSENGER SEAT! A good friend and also my stepson (he's a professional race driver) drove my Elise too....again I was in the passenger seat!

The only time I let a person to drive my car alone (only a few minutes) was Carl (former owner!) and an instructor at Streets of Willow track.

--Hal

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I've let two or three people drive the car. I have one close friend that I loaned it to for a week or so last summer. I trust him, and he'd do the same for me.

My wife has never driven it, and probably never will...

·
Registered
182 Posts
My oldest son would go around corners exclaiming, "it has more!"

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Only Qais (Lotus Southbay), Alan (Lotus Beverly Hills) , and I have driven my car.

My 16 year old son will drive it with me once he's learned to drive a stick really really well!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I wouldnt ever let a family member drive it but for some reason I didnt think twice about throwing the keys to a few members on here who wanted to see the difference between the Elise and Exige S...go figure

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
But there are people here who will let a complete stranger, a "car wash guy," drive their car. :eek:

·
Registered
571 Posts
My brother is a Lotus mechanic so I ask him to drive it anytime there is an issue. I also let him drive around the police academy track when we were all out there.

I insisted my dad drive it. He's had some great cars and I just wanted his opinion.

No one else has asked seriously.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have two daughters. One, who is becoming a car nut in her own right, can drive it anytime. The other, who is Ms. Corporate Executive, is still a space cadet when it comes to driving and I won't let her even look at the keys to the car. Anything else in the world, but not my Elise.

My ex? Not a chance, even when we were together...

I've let friends drive the car, but I don't sign it out for lone drives with anyone. I'll give rides to most anyone if they're genuinely interested, especially neighbor kids or even newly-met kids whose parents allow it.

I've 'sold' rides for charity to the simply curious. $25 minimum, they write the check to their own favorite charity and give it to me. I mail the check in to be sure it actually gets to the charity. :p

Best experience of this was a lovely coed from CU who just wanted to be able to tell her BF that she'd gotten a ride in an Elise. I gave her a canyon/mountain joyride for a $50 check to Habitat. Mmmm, would I enjoy doing that again! :evil: She was an Automotive Engineering major and a member of the school's Formula SAE team. (Now why couldn't I find one like that when I was in e-school?)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
If my wife or stepdaughter knew how to drive stick I'd let them drive it. as for the other three........ they're too furry and they'd probably barf on the seats. ( cats )

1 - 20 of 45 Posts