The Lotus Cars Community banner

To AC or Not to AC, that is the question.

• I was told AC would be standard and that's the way I like it!

Votes: 48 55.8%
  • I think AC should be an added option

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Weight is everthing, no AC, you hear me, NO AC!

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I think AC should be standard, but with a delete option at an added cost.

Votes: 22 25.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be a Hot Topic :)
I know that many here are on both sides of this one. It's not hard to understand both views. Personally I feel that it's cheaper for someone to remove the AC if not wanted, than it would be to order it as part of some new package.

I have a Jeep without AC and at times I really miss it, so it is something I definitely want. I feel it is unlikely that removing it would make this car handle any better or affect it's performance in any significant way. For me driver skill will play a much bigger roll than things like that. For this reason the part of this car I'm going to spend my money and time to improve will be me.

IMO I lack the skill (as do most) to improve this car. If it's good enough for Lotus to slap their name on it then it's good enough for me.

That's how I feel, but what about the rest of you?

·
Registered
607 Posts
A/C should be no additional cost to any Elise purchaser. Whether or not it is a delete option, I am not sure. Would this make delete A/C ok for stock autoxers? If so, help them out. For hard core track guys, they can remove the A/C themselves.

I'd probably buy with A/C if standard, and forget it is there on cool days, as I expect the handling to be so good anyway.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I want AC, as standard.

UK S2 has them, doesn't seem like they dislike them that much. If everyone has them no one has an advantage at the track. Dealers would know more how to fix them. Higher resale value. They couldn't charge more to the majority for the minority who wants to lighten the car by 50lbs.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Living in Florida, it's hot and humid most of the year. I REALLY NEED A/C!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
No A/C- no way. It's too hot here. At least us Floridians are not arguing over the results of this vote!

I had an MG with no air when I lived in NJ and then bought my next car with a sunroof and no air thinking it would be similar. Big mistake, was I wrong. Every car I have had since has had A/C.

I prefer not to use it, but when its 95 degrees with 90% humidity
you risk heat stoke and dehydration if you get stuck in traffic. Plus the car would smell like a sweaty gym locker room after awhile.

And besides we need A/c since their arent any cupholders to put Slurpies in :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
xxxotic said:
No A/C- no way. It's too hot here. At least us Floridians are not arguing over the results of this vote!

Don't forget about me!! It's safe to say there won't be any cars coming here without air. If I could relocate for a few months through the summer I could get away with not having A/C but if you're here you have no choice.

It would be nice if there was a "R" or motorsport package you could get since from what we know the Exige will not be imported. But if they were to do that why not just bring the Exige.

So I say A/C for everyone. If I have to have it you're all getting it, plus it's more efficient during production if they are all made the same.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It really depends how much the A/C weighs. The A/C for the S2 was a special lightweight unit that I think weighed less than 40lbs (including all the A/C components). If it were closer to 100lbs I would want it deleted. I could live without an A/C for that much weight reduction. After all it is an open topped car. I appreciate that in more southern climates than here that A/C is a "must have" option. But to me, 1900lbs+ is way to heavy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree, it's too hot here in Phoenix to not have the AC. I was using AC thru 1/2 of October it was so hot. We were over 100 still & I'd be sizzlin like bacon with out in the summer!

~FJ

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
You guys are so spoiled! What ever happened to 2/50 A/C. Roll 2 windows down and go 50. It's a convertible! How well does A/C work anyway with everything open. And do you really want to drive your car around with the top up and windows closed all day long.

No A/C for me! But then again, you guys have the right to A/C in your cars, even if you'll be slower than me :D

I guess I'm with the crowd that A/C or no A/C should be a free option.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
It's a convertible! How well does A/C work anyway with everything open. And do you really want to drive your car around with the top up and windows closed all day long.
If I was always moving, then your right, it wouldn't help much to have it on, but I get caught in traffic quite a bit here.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I was going to say, most of my driving won't be on the highway. I'm pretty much stuck in traffic driving around town when I drive. If it's really hot, I currently drive with my top down and a/c on. If it get even more hot, I put the top up and crank up the a/c.

If I'm doing some spirited driving, of course I turn the a/c off, but more often than not, I'm driving in regular stop/go traffic. Not much of a chance to hit 50 to do the 2/50 thing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
You guys are so spoiled! What ever happened to 2/50 A/C. Roll 2 windows down and go 50.
You obviously haven't been to AZ in the summer. You could drive 100mph,roll down everything and take the front window out if you wanted and the air is not going to feel cool. For a point of reference when you get home turn your blow dryer on high and and point it at your face. That's what it feels like with the windows down.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Try driving to Las Vegas when it's 115 outside. The whole idea of a convertible is that you can put the top on when needed and take it off when it's not. Otherwise, the car would come without a top.

This is a no-brainer for Lotus. To maximize their market, they need to have some amenities, including A/C.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
AC is not that heavy (yes, it's relative) at about 35 pounds. Most of us, maybe almost all of us, will not be able to use that 35 pound difference in our performance.

I have driven to races in Utah across the desert with no A/C. I do not want to do that again. I have waited to race in the paddock and was overheated. An overheated driver is not a fast driver. I would rather run the AC while I was waiting to get on the course, specially if I have a suit and helmet on.

So 90%+ of the owners will not notice or mind the AC. Many of them will require it. The few that are hardcore and want to remove it, can. In that regard, I don't mind the no-cost delete option. That makes sense. I personally do not want it, because of the SCCA rule thing.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
One thing though.. For you guys living in hot climates you'd better hope the A/C works better than in the european version.

The S1 A/C was a total waste of time and on the S2 it produces 'somewhat cooler' air, but nothing spectacular.

Don't expect to freeze your butt off...

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm with Randy on this one. I want A/C, but I do NOT want to see an A/C delete option due to SCCA rules. Or, of A/C delete is an option, it should be a 'dealer-installed' option ( ;) ) so that I don't have to compete against those folks.

For the same reason, I want to see Torsen / Tochigi Fuji LSD as standard or as a factory option. :) But that's an argument for another thread.

·
Registered
30 Posts
L8BRAKR said:
For a point of reference when you get home turn your blow dryer on high and and point it at your face. That's what it feels like with the windows down.
HAHA! I remember those days when I had my Jeep & R6. The A/C sucked in the Jeep, since it was aftermarket & well, the R6 didn't have it as an option ;)

~FJ

1 - 20 of 30 Posts