The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stand when they do this. When I had my last lotus I always ended up with pads that were noisy. I need new pads!!

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Mine do a little when they're cold. Doesn't bother me.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
mine do and I HATE it.
nothing takes the cool factor down a couple notches like pulling up to your stop with a high pitched pig squeal.
plan to change mine in the spring and add some copper grease behind the pads to quite them down

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Yep yep yep. 16k+ miles and still do. They do - that is what you get for having nice pads it seems.

I posted the exact same type of thread - got no sympathy from anyone, just some "shut up and take it" messages.

Meh - worth it in my opinion.

·
Such Administrating
6,798 Posts
This happens with more performance oriented brakes. One of my friends has a 328i with the bmw performance brake kit with the bigger calipers and such, and his brakes squeal like crazy.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
One thing I did to reduce or eliminate the squeal is clean out the brake dust deposits from the cross-drilled holes. Take a wooden chopstick or similar, and start "poking". Make sure it goes through the depth of the disc

I would have preferred slotted discs for this reason.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
One thing I did to reduce or eliminate the squeal is clean out the brake dust deposits from the cross-drilled holes. Take a wooden chopstick or similar, and start "poking". Make sure it goes through the depth of the disc

I would have preferred slotted discs for this reason.
Actually now that I think about it, yes I did that a while back! LOL

I guess that's what did it.. You know what works really well? air duster cans with the red straw on them. you get really close to the drill holes and it blasts right through and push the straw through the other side. Blast out all the dust in the vents too as well as the brake pads. So much dust eliminated, vastly improved cooling.

Unless you have multiple cans, you'll have to do them one wheel at a time in each session, as the cans lose pressure from the temperature drop.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try the duster can method.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I find mine squeal only when I am too gentle, you know when I drive like a 80 year old grandma. However when I drive the car like I stole it - no squeal. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Porterfiel R4s are quiet, but the initial bite is pretty poor... as in freakishly no friction... And in the rain I had no brakes at all...

I would stick with the Ferodo DS2500 based stock Evora pads, and just make sure they are clean by stopping hard once in a while... Don't drive like a grandma (glad somebody else said it)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Mine squeeled after a track day, had to replace them. Spirited street driving is fine.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Never once.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Air Compresssor

Actually now that I think about it, yes I did that a while back! LOL

I guess that's what did it.. You know what works really well? air duster cans with the red straw on them. you get really close to the drill holes and it blasts right through and push the straw through the other side. Blast out all the dust in the vents too as well as the brake pads. So much dust eliminated, vastly improved cooling.

Unless you have multiple cans, you'll have to do them one wheel at a time in each session, as the cans lose pressure from the temperature drop.
An attachment for your air compressor - needle valve for basketballs, etc. might be better than cans?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
1.Don't breath the dust!!!
2. Try doing a few aggressive 100-10 stops. Gets rid of the glaze caused by babying brakes.
Frankly when i pull up to a light and brakes squeal, I'm happy cuz that means they're serious brakes.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1.Don't breath the dust!!!
2. Try doing a few aggressive 100-10 stops. Gets rid of the glaze caused by babying brakes.
Frankly when i pull up to a light and brakes squeal, I'm happy cuz that means they're serious brakes.
This sounds like fun! Can I do it between stop lights????? Pweassse!!

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
MOre fun hitting the exit ramp at full song then standing on them!!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I just swapped out from OEM pads to Ferodo ds2500s and had my rotors ground on a procut machine to get them trued to the car. With brand new pads, clean rotors, they didn't squeal but made a very noisy grating sound until I got to wear I could bed them in. Bedded them in, let them cool for awhile, hit the road. About a week later they started squealing again like the OEM pads. They do seem to be very temperature sensitive when it comes to noise-on a hot day they don't really squeal. Below 85 degrees they do a lot more unless I'm more aggressive wiht the pedal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts