The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jeez Louise. Trying to resecure my rf mudflap and this is a pic of what I removed. Notice the "domed" portion (this is the orientation that it had been installed with)would be against the flap. I pulled the top most loose one... is that dome supposed to be the "capture in the clam portion"?
Seems backwards to me - this is an all rubber insert with a brass insert inside for the machine screw/washer which goes through the flap. There was nothing holding it in the clam as far as I can tell. Just that barrel poking thru the hole Looks like the domed rubber portion should be the side that gets popped through the clam - don't drop it! While you get the screw in there? Cannot be that complicated. These are not "plastic rivets." All rubber/brass machine screw inserts. Might JB weld the rubber insert to clam, re-screw flap?

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I'm beginning to understand - that domed portion was originally on the other side,(inside of the clam wall and pulled through - causing the failure. I have to get to the other side - pulling arch liner to see if that is possible. I bet arch liner is also secured with these little rubber things too.(early cars only?)

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
What you have there is a wellnut. Very common on motorcycles for fairings, windshields, etc. I'm not sure if that's what Lotus used originally or not, but the OEM fasteners that I just ordered for my Exige are expanding plastic fasteners like you see used on cars more often. You should be able to find something at any auto parts store.

EDIT: Note that you do not have to have access to the backside to use either wellnuts or expanding fasteners. They both work from the front.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I am not sure a new thread and "shouting" is required.

Ok we get it THEY ARE NOT PLASTIC RIVETS. However plastic expanding rivets will work fine and are easy to find. These came on both my exige and my early elise. Slightly larger wellnuts would probably work great as well.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well .....nuts.
The big question - can i get to the other side of the wall by removing the wheel arch liner? Does that give me access the the well nut side?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HEY THANKS ASCHEN...and everyone else..

turns out the main problem was that i had no idea of how a well nut worked - i replaced them - cranked them down - THEY EXPANDED! - voila - out testing the car again to see if those tires rub.
PS everything on my car in the wheel wells (arch liner etc.) is secured with well nuts... which makes sense for a wheel well. I guess they didn't have all the parts when they started production so they substituted rubber/metal parts while waiting for the plastic clips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts