The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i am a newbie running an 04 111r and ive been considering a kit from a very reputable firm in the uk , wud anyone care to share their knowledge and let me no is the thousands spent well worth the performance outcome ?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Totally transforms the car. Supercar? To me that means it might try to kill me.

Elise? Probably not!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Only to about 60 MPH ( about 100KM/H). Some of the larger kits will move you down to about 4 seconds to hit that mark. However, after 60MPH, the high drag/downforce body really limits you. Corvettes, Mustangs, BMW 335i/M3, etc would own you in a 60 to 120 MPH straight line race (even with the supercharger). However, for the sane drivers on the road, who try to limit their speeds to numbers which won't get them thrown into jail, the supercharger makes a real difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow quick replies , yea i saw the first page but it sometimes better in my opinion to get an answer straight from the horses mouth , as 6g for a kit fitted aint cheap

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
stock exige-s power is not supercar territory. Of course it is really a semantics debate.

220ish hp in an exige makes it a very quick car but not really fast. Most cars commonly regarded as supercars can trap more than 120mph. I think youll need at least 300 whp to do that in an elige on street tires.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Only to about 60 MPH ( about 100KM/H). Some of the larger kits will move you down to about 4 seconds to hit that mark. However, after 60MPH, the high drag/downforce body really limits you. Corvettes, Mustangs, BMW 335i/M3, etc would own you in a 60 to 120 MPH straight line race (even with the supercharger). However, for the sane drivers on the road, who try to limit their speeds to numbers which won't get them thrown into jail, the supercharger makes a real difference.

It really depends of the supercharger. With my Vf2 corvette c6 or 2013 5.0 cant catch me

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
It really depends of the supercharger. With my Vf2 corvette c6 or 2013 5.0 cant catch me
You can get the stock times from a theoretical 4.9 to 4.4 with a mild factory supercharger or 4.0 with the VF or other kits that give you 260-75hp. Supercar? Pretty close but sad to say 4-5 second cars are not too uncommon now with the horsepower wars in full force.

Your top of the line 335i/M3 coupe can do 5s all day as can most Japanese sporty coupes. Now if you turbo it to 330hp, then you can get it to sub-4 seconds and that's supercar territory.

With my stock twin turbo V6, no C6, Z06, ZR1, 458, R8, Gallardo, etc. can catch me.

But like I said in the beginning, all the numbers you read are all theoretical or claimed or achieved under ideal conditions with professional drivers. With guys like you and me (unless you are the Stig), it just makes for interesting bench racing conversation.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just my 2 cents, since you're already looking in the 6k+ range, I'd suggest you get a BoE super charger. They are the kits that will push you closest to what I'd call a "super car". I went with them and I haven't been disappointed yet. As a bit of anecdotal evidence, if I feel like screwing with my girlfriend :D I can suddenly blip the gas in a low gear and the back force will usually push her phone out of her hand. Yet another reason its great to be a guy... we have pockets to hold phones

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
agreed - you can eat these cars for lunch all day with a rev400 installed on a stock motor. 60 -100mph is very quick. Alot more money than your $6k tho. Figure 10k for the blower, clutch etc. Then add installation. You are up over $12k. Plus or minus. VF2 is less money - lots of bang for the buck. But I love my 400 and would do it again. It just runs. Quickly. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I went down the qtr mile a while ago and a friend said I came 8th. i did not know what he meant until he showed me this.
I did a 12.01 sec and is my every day car.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
hmm. Watch the vid carefully at 2:12 to 2:15, and then again at 2:21+ looking at the Evora end of the track.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
As aschen said... this is nothing more than semantics and opinion.

IMHO slapping an aftermarket supercharger on an Elise/Exige doesn't make it a supercar. It just makes it accelerate very well at low speeds. It still lacks the suspension/wheelbase, chassis stability, and high speed ability to make it truly a "super car". A Ferrari 458 is most certainly more of a complete package.
With that said I do contend that for the money a modified Elise/Exige is the closest thing to a poor mans super car.

As for the people with aftermarket supercharger kits beating C6 corvettes, R8s, and whatever else in a straight line... You can probably hang maybe even inch on some of them at low speeds, however once over 100mph the Elise just can't hang. For comparison sake:
A bone stock automatic base model C6 Corvette covers a quarter mile in low 12s somewhere around 117mph. A bone stock C6 Z06 covers the quarter mile in mid-high 11s at around 124 mph.
There are very cars on here that have been able to match those numbers, particularly the Z06.

... And that is just a bone stock Corvette. I see them modified all the time at the dyno shop. Its not all that hard to pick up ~100hp with a new vette.

An Elige is not a quarter miler. A supercharger will give a lot more punch but the true essence of the car is in the twisters.
^^ At the end of the day it boils down to this. If you are building an Elige expecting amazing 1/4 mile results you will be disappointed. A warmed over Elige in the quarter mile is less impressive than a stock one at an autocross.

·
Registered
668 Posts
that video is very well put together. i bet that al GT-R owners have it on their phones, :)

i dont think we can do much to our cars that can help it above 80mph, unless we can get our hands on the new exige. :)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
A bone stock automatic base model C6 Corvette covers a quarter mile in low 12s somewhere around 117mph. A bone stock C6 Z06 covers the quarter mile in mid-high 11s at around 124 mph.
There are very cars on here that have been able to match those numbers, particularly the Z06.

... And that is just a bone stock Corvette. I see them modified all the time at the dyno shop. Its not all that hard to pick up ~100hp with a new vette.

Elige in the quarter mile is less impressive than a stock one at an autocross.
Agreed, I havent been in a really high powered elige, but I cant imagine one could compete with the big dogs at higher speeds. It doesnt really make sense to compare stock cars to modded ones either.

A bone stock ZR1 traps at nearly 130 mph!. I think our resident drag racing guru here got near that with a lightened rev 400 kit. Impressive numbers for sure, but it took alot of work on the car for that. Imagine where the vette would be with a smaller pully, tune, and some headers.

Anyways if we rearrange our semantics discusion a bit to does a SC improve the driving experience for an elige, the answer for me is definately yes. The powerbad is much more friendly to access, and the car is pretty quick even with a basic (or stock) sc setup

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
i bet that al GT-R owners have it on their phones
It mostly shows how brutal the gtrs AWD launch is. Many of the cars are actually faster as evidenced by the higher trap speeds. Those cars would beat a GTR in roll on acceleration at say a track day or on the free way (not that I condone that).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I think your pretty much spot on.

This spring I drag raced a 2012 Mustang GT with a Ford Racing blower. I can't remember the dyno'd power, but it was up there.
We had roughly a mile to run (on a runway)... (was at a race event and we were just having some fun during downtime)

We raced 4-5 times and each time until about 45-50mph I had him by a few car lengths. After that he would catch up and blow my doors off.

He was pulling a top speed of around 150, where I was only touching 135ish. At that speed though the car gets pretty darn light.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
hmm. Watch the vid carefully at 2:12 to 2:15, and then again at 2:21+ looking at the Evora end of the track.
I think he meant if he ran his modded car in this race with the ten cars, he would have came in 8th overall.

My car would be 3rd in this race using times from Edmund's at 11.4 seconds, but it sure ain't my daily driver.

My buddy supercharged the heck out of his Exige S and changed tons of internals so it should be north of 285hp and it was fast, but not supercar brutal fast.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts