The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a a question about engine cool down. I just bought a new dodge 3500 Ram with a 6.7 cummins diesel. I was reading the manual and came to the cooling down of the diesel turbo and it was explaining engine cool down of 3 to 5 min depending on load.
It goes on to say that this is nessesary to allow the lubricating oil and coolants to carry excess heat away from combustion chamber, bearings, ect...

It states that this is especially important for turbo charged and charge air cooled engines

Would this apply to a supercharger?

My Lotus manual say's nothing of this and it has a similar boost.

I'm not a mechanic or engine tech but should I follow this procedure with my car?

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
A turbo charged engine is slightly different in that the turbine spins independently of the crankshaft (unlike a supercharger which is driven by the crankshaft) and as such needs to be allowed to slow down before being switched off. That said you can cool the engine down while driving by restricting the revs - just keep to small throttle openings when parking the car and you will have cooled the engine (ie: don't come of the track at the end of a hot lap and immediately shut off the engine :) ).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pretty much sums it up. That's what turbo timers are used for. Maintain circulation of oil through the turbo and shut it off when cool.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on man! thanks for that. :up: I would'nt want to cause my baby any undue stress.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Besides, hot exhaust gas is used to drive the turbo. A mechanically-driven supercharger blows air at ambient temperature or thereabouts, so doesn't get so hot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts