The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing wrong with my Lotus thankfully, but I've had wrecked cars towed in the past and dealing with the tow company has always been a problem and expensive. So my question, is there any reason you can not have your wrecked Lotus towed to your house?

The main reason for doing this is that I have a lot of custom parts on my Elise. If it was seriously damaged I would like to swap out my carbon fiber interior before the insurance company takes possession of it. Rather than fight them for the value of the upgrades.

I know that the tow truck driver wants to take the car to their lot because they make most of their profit from the daily storage fee.

Has anyone here taken their car to their house after an accident?

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
No, you do not have to have it towed to their lot.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
short answer is no, you don't.

I had a wrecked toyota towed to my job's parking lot. No problem, just ask the guy.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Until you have made a final settlement with your insurance company YOU should control where the car goes. This is especially true if you have installed aftermarket upgrades that the insurance company will not recognize for value (such as aftermarket superchargers, etc.)

Most policies will only reimburse for stock condition or for specifically disclosed and covered upgrades. Therefore, if you have an undisclosed aftermarket part of great value you should remove and replace it with a stock part if possible before you settle with insurance. Your only responsibility is to leave the car with all the parts that were disclosed for coverage.

That said, some undisclosed performance upgrades may be cause for a claim dispute with some insurance companies. Be aware of this before you upgrade.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
No, some states have Police tows, but even then you can get your car from that lot and have it towed wherever you want.

Note the tow guy will NOT be happy about towing anywhere but his lot.

In my state you can get your own tow and don't have to use the one the cops call.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Unless things have changed a lot, you can have it towed wherever you want. Your insurance company might want it at their inspection location.

Nothing wrong with my Lotus thankfully, but I've had wrecked cars towed in the past and dealing with the tow company has always been a problem and expensive. So my question, is there any reason you can not have your wrecked Lotus towed to your house?

The main reason for doing this is that I have a lot of custom parts on my Elise. If it was seriously damaged I would like to swap out my carbon fiber interior before the insurance company takes possession of it. Rather than fight them for the value of the upgrades.

I know that the tow truck driver wants to take the car to their lot because they make most of their profit from the daily storage fee.

Has anyone here taken their car to their house after an accident?

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I believe the only issue that would prevent being towed to a private residence is if it is leaking any fluid. If it is leaking you have to tow it to a specialized tow yard that can contain spills.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I believe the only issue that would prevent being towed to a private residence is if it is leaking any fluid. If it is leaking you have to tow it to a specialized tow yard that can contain spills.
... in a place like California.;)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Most policies will only reimburse for stock condition or for specifically disclosed and covered upgrades. Therefore, if you have an undisclosed aftermarket part of great value you should remove and replace it with a stock part if possible before you settle with insurance. Your only responsibility is to leave the car with all the parts that were disclosed for coverage.

That said, some undisclosed performance upgrades may be cause for a claim dispute with some insurance companies. Be aware of this before you upgrade.
Just make sure its not YOU that caused the wreck. THEIR policy would have no such discloser.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts