The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting for the DS kit to arrive, I thought back to the other sports cars that I've had. There were Camaros, Corvettes, and Miatas. The rear toe link never came up as a discussion point, so I never looked at it. Are the rear suspension of those cars designed differently than the Eliges?
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I know from FD RX-7s, they have a "toe link" that bolts firmly to the rear subframe - supported on both sides of the mounting point like the DS kit will do for the Elise/Exige.

As for Miatas (at least the NA and NB that i'm most familiar with) the rear toe is set by the lower rear control arms, the "camber bolts" used to mount the lower control arms are used to affect toe. (if memory serves me correct atm)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the explanation. I drove an NA and NC for years and didn't do anything to strengthen the stock suspension. Plenty of canyon runs, though.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Good thing is there are lots of aftermarket support for our cars and in fact I'm having my rear toe factory links(15k miles on 'em) replaced as we speak.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I had to replace the rear toe links on my 91 MR2 turbo. They were typical taper shaft on ball joint units that simply wore out. Single shear mounted like the Elise, but much heavier.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I had to replace the rear toe links on my 91 MR2 turbo. They were typical taper shaft on ball joint units that simply wore out. Single shear mounted like the Elise, but much heavier.
StressCraxx - I'm curious - do you recall how many miles did you have on your MR2 ?

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
While waiting for the DS kit to arrive, I thought back to the other sports cars that I've had. There were Camaros, Corvettes, and Miatas. The rear toe link never came up as a discussion point, so I never looked at it. Are the rear suspension of those cars designed differently than the Eliges?
Thanks,
Camaros usually are rear beam axle, so definitely not applicable. Early IRS Corvettes use the trailing arm to locate the rear wheel in toe, C5 and later (I think) use a tie rod just like the Elige does, except mounted to the rear of the diff housing. Miatas use the lower A arm directly.

Worth noting that a) the Elige issue is generally only an issue in a curb strike or track use cases. b) it's easy (and pretty cheap) to reliably fix several different ways, and c) in track use, particularly when you upgrade to stickier tires, stock suspension starts to come apart on a lot of cars, and you start learning about the need to upgrade more than just the grippy bits.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a C6 a few years ago, and the issue was brake heat cooking the grease/grease boot of the rod end on the suspension upright, as it comes within a few mm of the rotor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a C6 a few years ago, and the issue was brake heat cooking the grease/grease boot of the rod end on the suspension upright, as it comes within a few mm of the rotor.
Yeah, I vaguely recall something about that. I had a 2006 Z06 that fortunately never did have that issue, but it was afflicted with the roof delamination problem. Other than that there was nothing else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts