The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
an interactive application that lets you take a "virtual" engine apart and put it back together? i want to try to better understand the innards of a typical engine so i think something like this would be much more effective than simply reading a lot of text.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
When I was a kid I got one of those working models of a clear small block V8 engine. It was awesome. It also came with a book that explained the 4 stroke cycle. Then the engine would rotate very slowly (by battery) and even had little lights that lit up as spark plugs on the power stroke. It really helped me learn the fundamentals of internal combustion engines and how they work at a young age. And by 20 I had built all kinds of real engines. Chevy, Ford, VW, etc.

Howstuffworks.com is helpful too.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
When I was a kid I got one of those working models of a clear small block V8 engine. It was awesome. It also came with a book that explained the 4 stroke cycle. Then the engine would rotate very slowly (by battery) and even had little lights that lit up as spark plugs on the power stroke. It really helped me learn the fundamentals of internal combustion engines and how they work at a young age. And by 20 I had built all kinds of real engines. Chevy, Ford, VW, etc.

Howstuffworks.com is helpful too.
I had one too. Wasn't this called "The Visible V8"?

Then, I bought an engine from a junkyard, took it apart, reassembled it. A few yrs after that, was old enough to drive.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I had one too. Wasn't this called "The Visible V8"?

Then, I bought an engine from a junkyard, took it apart, reassembled it. A few yrs after that, was old enough to drive.
Wow, and I thought I was the only person to have a model like that. I remember putting it together and then running it in my room at night with the lights off. I thought it was the coolest thing I ever put together. Musta been in 3rd / 4th grade when I had that. Wish I still had it, but my brother knocked it off the shelf destroying it.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Wow, and I thought I was the only person to have a model like that. I remember putting it together and then running it in my room at night with the lights off. I thought it was the coolest thing I ever put together. Musta been in 3rd / 4th grade when I had that. Wish I still had it, but my brother knocked it off the shelf destroying it.
I had one too. Looks like they still make a version.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7PeWq6oqeZI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7PeWq6oqeZI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
^^^ A classic. Coolest toy on the block. Only thing better was to have the Wankel too.

·
Registered
937 Posts

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts