The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a fun, spirited drive in the Evora GT. I'm still a new owner but I can't imagine that ever getting "old".

Tooling along, I started wondering: Does anyone pay attention to the GSI? I certainly don't. In my case I like to keep the engine RPM's quite a bit higher than what the GSI recommends. I'm sure they're going for maximum fuel mileage or something but this kind of car doesn't like to have its engine lugging along in the sub-2000 RPM range. Yet that's what it felt like I'd be doing if I followed the GSI's arrows.

I wish one of the display options was to swap the GSI with a coolant temperature display. That would be a MUCH better use of that display area. Instead, a big chunk of LCD is going entirely to waste for me, and I suspect quite a few others.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another case of politics over practicality, sounds like.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Upshift arrow will illuminate if the performance currently required can be achieved with improved fuel economy in a higher gear. More than one higher gear i.e., 3rd to 5th may have to be selected to permanently extinguish the upshift arrow.
So yeah its just about fuel economy

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a waste of otherwise perfectly useful screen space. If they'd made it part of the rotating display, fine. But to permanently consume space that could have otherwise shown useful data... ugh.

·
Illegal Alien
5,012 Posts
What a waste of otherwise perfectly useful screen space. If they'd made it part of the rotating display, fine. But to permanently consume space that could have otherwise shown useful data... ugh.
Regulatory mater to support fuel economy, manufacture doesn't have much choice but to permanently display; same with removal of shift lights, counter efficient as it promoted redlining.

·
Illegal Alien
5,012 Posts
Write to your congressman

Reactions: jjm4life

·
Registered
122 Posts
I go with the displays recommendations in order to maximize that sweet sound of gravel in my transmission.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
That gravel will become loam eventually.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
If you make a leap, the logic makes sense. The EPA uses preset mph-based shift points for all manual cars unless the driver is always notified otherwise. This way the test emulates reality, in theory. You can’t just slip the operator a piece paper with shift points on it because then the shift points would not match what the car’s future owner will be told. Kinda like why VW got into hot water with their diesels - they were operating in a way during the test that was not like reality. Whereas Corvette's beat the tests fine with their skip-shift because they bog down during the test and when the real-world driver emulates the test conditions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
EPA ratings for my Kia Stinger were reduced by 1 MPG after they shipped the cars because in real world conditions everyone was driving in Sport mode and not Eco mode.

Nothing a little black tape or perhaps the new Digital display Lotus is working on can't fix.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing a little black tape or perhaps the new Digital display Lotus is working on can't fix.
I don't care about hiding it, I just wish they'd used the display space for something meaningful.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I go with the displays recommendations in order to maximize that sweet sound of gravel in my transmission.
Silly me! And all this time I've been trying to minimize that sound. Embrace the grind!

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you make a leap, the logic makes sense. The EPA uses preset mph-based shift points for all manual cars unless the driver is always notified otherwise. This way the test emulates reality, in theory. You can’t just slip the operator a piece paper with shift points on it because then the shift points would not match what the car’s future owner will be told. Kinda like why VW got into hot water with their diesels - they were operating in a way during the test that was not like reality. Whereas Corvette's beat the tests fine with their skip-shift because they bog down during the test and when the real-world driver emulates the test conditions.
Does anyone have a link to the EPA spec for MT shift lights?

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
This is what I could find on the EPA site.

I did find a more in-depth shift schedule, but that was from 1977.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
It is old-ish, so I don't know if it has been superseded by anything, but it's what I found real quick:

"One acceptable method of testing and generating fuel economy credit for vehicles with SIL's is outlined in EPA letters dated December 22, 1982 (CD-82-10(LD)) and June 22, 1983 (CD-83-10(LD)) . Using this method, each vehicle is tested twice, once using the SIL speeds and once using non-SIL speeds . Then a weighted average of the two fuel economy results is calculated, based on in-use surveys of the percent usage of the SIL . While this method provides a reasonable approximation of expected in-use fuel economy, the level of precision is unknown . In addition, this method necessitates that each vehicle be tested twice which adds extra cost for both manufacturers and EPA . 3 . Alternatively, an on-road shift speed survey can be used to generate a single set of typical in-use shift speeds for vehicles with SIL's . The shift light influences the shift point in a manner analogous to engine noise, vibration, manufacturers' instructions, etc . A vehicle with an effective shift light system would presumably generate lower shift speeds than a comparable vehicle without the shift light . EPA believes that using an on-road survey to generate an alternative shift schedule is an accurate method of including fuel economy credit for SIL devices . In addition, it would no longer be necessary to conduct questionnaire type surveys of SIL usage or to test each vehicle twice . Therefore, the use of shift speed surveys for vehicles with SIL's is allowed by Section VII of this A/C and may be used on an optional basis . "

1 - 20 of 29 Posts