The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe how cheap and poorly made the binnacle is. (the plastic piece around the air conditioner). I took it off to paint it, and now it's nice and glossy black but when I go to put it back on - the screws won't go in the plastic slots because they are either spread to far open/stripped/cracked. So I have to super glue it back together.

No paint got in the screw holes, and I was gentle taking it out.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
This is probably one of those dumb questions... but are you sure you used the same screws that you took out? Sounds like the screws are too narrow?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Ha! Try having it wrapped in Alcantara and then sliding it back in place on it's grooves... :wallbang:

Looks much better though...

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW

Finally got it back in - after buying a super glue PEN (didn't know I bought a pen...) so I had to draw the super glue around the tiny holes and then put the screws in there, and let them set for 1 minute. Did that for all 4 screws. I'm glad I labled the wiring because Lotus didn't. Fortunatly I plugged everything back in correctly. I swear this car was built for dwarfs to work on it, cuz being 6'3'' was impossible to move around... too much work to take the roof off haha. Then I had to remember how to slide the friggin binnacle into the dash again... forgot the plastic piece on the bottom had to be half-way on before pushing it down into the dash. Got it in there, luckly the glue is holding good enough... it was also hard finding the screw holes in the bottom of the dash to match up with the washers/binnacle holes... had to use a toothpick to find my way around and get into the holes.

I'm happy though, looks great. I'll post pics one of these days. Also did the rear center console. I will do the big center console in 8 weeks - ordered orange leather from lotus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts