The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always have to be within 5ft to lock/unlock my car. This would not be that big of an issue but I always seem to forget to lock her and end up having to walk back. Any Ideas or is it just something I am gonna have to learn to live with?

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I pretty much have to be standing right next to the car for the keyfob to work. I cannot even open the trunk when I'm behind the car, I have to move to the side of the car to open the trunk.TADTS

·
Registered
103 Posts
This seems to be an issue that has been coming up in many conversations. I have been locked out of the car because the FOB doesn't work without multiple tries and 4 letter words. Check the other thread regarding the FOB. I have seen people pull out and unravel the antenna for the locks and it seems to help a bit. I also spoke to someone at a show this past weekend who said they had to have the switch replaced and it was $600. If it is under warranty, get it looked at sooner than later is what I have been told.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to go to the dealership tomorrow anyway, so I will let you guys know If they can give me a solution.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
It appears the signal sensor is susceptible to noise, requiring close range for operation. The FOB is capable of long distances when there is not a lot of ambient radio noise, such as in a parking garage, where I can unlock my car from about 50 feet away. Outdoors, it's usually about 10' away. 15' max.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have the same problem. Sometimes I have to raise my arm, aim it at the dash, and cuss to get it to work. Very annoying.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was just in Alex's car and he had to use the key fob to unlock my door, but it didn't unlock. He had to reach over and unlock it. I have this same problem with my Evora. I can't ever seem to get the passenger door open with the key fob as simply as it should, which frustrates my on and off again girlfriend. She's as complicated as the key fob.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here's the secret: Use your skull cavity as a directional antennae.

1. Stand facing the Evora.
  2. Hold your fob up to your ear.
  3. Open your mouth.
  4. Press the button.

rotfl

·
Registered
218 Posts
+1.

I actually tested this theory years back on my Subaru SVX, and at a certain distance, if I used the remote by holding it (either in hand or raised up high) it wouldn't open the door. But if I held it against my forehead or my chin, low and behold, it would lock and unlock on cue. I stood at the same spot and tried it repeatedly alternating positions and could confirm the fob-to-head method of operating the remote.

3. Open your mouth.
  4. Press the button.

rotfl

·
Registered
255 Posts
Other cars have this problem too. My BMW F10 recently has been doing this... takes a few pushes for it to actually open/lock.... Well actually I think maybe it's cuz I left it in my jeans and washed it once.... lol

Check the battery, moisture, etc. Never know....

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts

3. Open your mouth.
  4. Press the button.

rotfl
No, No thats all wrong

Its more like this

It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the right
With your hands on your hips
You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane,
Then press the button again and again! :nanner2::nanner::coolnana:rotfl

·
Registered
412 Posts
No, No thats all wrong

Its more like this

It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the right
With your hands on your hips
You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane,
Then press the button again and again! :nanner2::nanner::coolnana:rotfl

It's astounding...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've done a bit of searching and this thread comes closest to my problem.

That large button on my key fob for my 2005 elise has punctured through due to old age. It died while I was at a shop to be smogged when I couldn't get the damn thing to turn on again. I had to run back home to get my extra key and that worked.

What did not work was the code card in my wallet. I attempted to use the 4 digit code and it appeared to turn off the alarm ok. At least the red light had turned off. But the immobilizer still was on in that the start button failed to operate.

So I have two questions.
1) where do I get a new key fob so that I have two again, and is the number on the key fob (form is CE 0123) indicative of which code I want?
2) why didn't the magic code work as instructed to allow the starter to work? One of the things about it was that after turning on and off the key to initiate the code sequence, instead of the over-rev light blinking solid for 3 seconds, it shut off, and then the beeper went off up to nine times. So I used that to turn on and off the ignition as specified after the number of beeps instead of flashes. And of course that didn't work. Ok. what is going on with the code entry instructions?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have a Uni-Key and the only way I can unlock or lock the car is if I literally place the key against the front windshield and even then I have to hit the button about 4 or 5 times.

The instructions for the Uni-Key told how to increase the antenna length of the car receiver and now I know why.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts