The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 2005 elise at Houston Direct Auto with 28k miles for $32k.

Dealer claims the car is in great shape and needs nothing. I'm a few states away so I'm planning to wire the money and have it shipped to me and hope it is what they claim it to be.

If anyone on here knows anything about this car or has any advice to offer I'd appreciate it.

Here is a link to the vehicle :

my.dealersocket.com/NewEbrochure/eBrochure/Index?WebLeadId=5/bAsazSiiA=&InventoryID=ygjJwS2u3cE=&EBrochureSiteId=Lkf+2zKY/HA=&EventId=9wy6SZrrHmg=&CreatedById=+1hIpEwUWII=&RemoteSiteId=Lkf+2zKY/HA=

OR

Cargurus.com/Cars/link/252447579

Thanks

-Jon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is a 2005 elise at Houston Direct Auto with 28k miles for $32k.

Dealer claims the car is in great shape and needs nothing. I'm a few states away so I'm planning to wire the money and have it shipped to me and hope it is what they claim it to be.

If anyone on here knows anything about this car or has any advice to offer I'd appreciate it.

Here is a link to the vehicle :

OR

Thanks

-Jon

·
Registered
930 Posts
Don't know anything about this car, however, you could negotiate with the selling dealer to have the Houston Lotus dealer to perform a PPI.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 2005 Elise that is Storm Titanium. Unless those pictures are way off in color that is not Storm Titanium. That looks like Arctic Silver or Aspen White to me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did anyone notice the portion of the dash around the head unit? It looks really rough. Maybe someone tried to steal the radio at some point?

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Voxel I just saw your post and wanted to let you know that I actually had a PPI done on this car a few weeks ago. I live in Hawaii, and fortunately a local elise came up for sale at the perfect time and I ended up purchasing it over this car for a few reasons. Anyway, I can send you the report and some more pics of the car. I was able to get the dealership to change the oil at least because it was pretty dirty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Voxel I just saw your post and wanted to let you know that I actually had a PPI done on this car a few weeks ago. I live in Hawaii, and fortunately a local elise came up for sale at the perfect time and I ended up purchasing it over this car for a few reasons. Anyway, I can send you the report and some more pics of the car. I was able to get the dealership to change the oil at least because it was pretty dirty.

Wow, what are the chances. That would be great. I'll PM you with my email address.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is for sure NOT Titanium Silver. I own a Titanium Silver and this one is to light to be that.

The License plate drill holes seem to be off center (Petty but if the previous owners didnt take the time to line em up correct what else did they slight out on?)

Minimal scuffing on drivers side headlight

Is that spoiler supposed to have a gap the whole way though? just looks a bit off to me, maybe fine but not 100% sure on that.

wear on passengers side leather

I noticed a LED remote control in the console area, is this thing wired for LEDs?

Radio area is rough, its enough that it would turn me away from this vehicle. probably been through numerous radios in its time, although you may be able to clean it up a bit with some sort of wrap...but eh...

curb mark on DS wheel

(looks like soft top in rear) thats a plus

Thats all I can spot now without HD photos. These dealers downgrade their photos and wont let you zoom in so you cant really see the imperfections.

Where are you located? i searched for 6 months for a lotus before I pulled the trigger. There are a few places that dont post on cars.com or autotrader.com so you also should look at those.

For reference. I had mine shipped about 1k miles and paid 525

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has taken the time out of their day to reply. I truly appreciate the advice and insight. I'm in Missouri and I don't know anyone who has a lotus or knows anything about them. I have read through a bunch of the threads regarding purchasing and maintaining but the more specific comments regarding this vehicle are helpful, thank you!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,090 Posts
This is for sure NOT Titanium Silver. I own a Titanium Silver and this one is to light to be that.
There's no such color as Titanium Silver. Storm Titanium is what you're most likely referring to, such as mine is.

IMG_1030.JPG

San

·
Registered
57 Posts
Voxel, don't know where in MO you are, but there are a few people in the STL area that lurk on the forums. Visual Echos is in the Cape G area, so there is a ton of local knowledge around. All are a wealth of knowledge and you've found the best car community there is. Everyone will go out of their way to be helpful if you ask.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in Houston and went to look at this car about a month ago. I didn't drive it since they wanted proof of financing and I would have only done a cash deal, but FWIW I didn't notice anything in particular visually that seemed a problem. I just wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger, and still might go for an Exige.
Some others have pointed out a rough area around the radio which I don't remember, so maybe I'm not the best observer.

Anyway, Houston Lotus folks have recommended Gas Head Motorworks for Lotus service. I've talked to them and they seem knowledgeable, plus they are an authorized Lotus shop (look under the "news" section on their website).
Again, full disclaimer - I've not actually used them since I don't own a Lotus (yet :) ) They are who I am planning on using for a PPI if a car comes up locally.

Good luck
Jeff

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I had a quick look at the photos. I'm very careful with my own Elise. However when I swapped radios I scratched up some of the plastic housing around the radio. It is quite easy to do. There is a bit of damage to the plastic to the left side of the radio in one of the photos. But I don't think that is indicative of a problem with the car. Probably the radio was just replaced at some point in time. The stock radios are so-so which means many people replace them.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I'm with most... Only 2 things that really stick out for me, which is the radio surround and the rear spoiler. But it is easy to scratch up the radio surround when swapping head units. So it would be more a personal taste if you can live with the scratches. The rear spoiler looks like some spacers were added to maybe have an ease of cleaning/water flow..? Maybe. Although, it doesn't look right to me with that spacing in between. Also, possible added spacers/washers to distribute load and/or hide stress cracks hence adding the washers. Who knows tho. Now, with that price, I feel its fair, but I also feel you can find a better deal. Anyways, GLWS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drove this one about 3 weeks ago, it was the first Elise I had driven so I was learning on the fly and might have missed some things obvious to someone more familiar with these cars. From the start, I was kind of put off as they brought me the yellow one first because their mechanic was looking at the silver one because something was wrong with the power steering 😬. I cut the drive short because the throttle was so stiff I could barely push it and was worried that the cable may break. Thought it was a cable problem, but it could be the throttle body worn and binding as I guess these are a problem and the one I did end up buying is slightly worn and has the high idle problem from it sticking. It seemed to drive and stop ok, but the brake pedal felt a little soft and required more travel than I expected. It seems like this is kinda common on the 05 and the one I bought has a little longer travel than one would expect if it was the only one you ever drove also. Definitely makes it harder to heel and toe with the brake pedal lower that the throttle. The tire placard showed 195 front tires so I am pretty sure it has the sport suspension I think it has 205 on the front for what it's worth. The area around the radio is scratched like has been noted, there is a little damage on the front splitter, nothing major. I didn't look at the wing that close, but nothing really stood out. The heat and a/c worked, but your mileage may vary if they recently charged it. They offered to put it on their lift so I could look it over closer if I wanted to move forward, but we couldn't agree on a price and didn't get that far. They "new what they had", would not budge on their price at all and seemed willing to hold on to it for a good while longer (showed like 120 days already on CarGurus). It is also one of those bust out buy here, pay here lots, that buys the higher end cars at auction and sells them to the credit challenged, so buyer beware on how they inspect and service their cars. In a virgin's eyes it looked pretty cool with the "carbon fiber" splitter and side scoops and wing. It didn't seem like a terrible car, but will need a few things to be road worthy. Wish I could remember more about it, but hopefully that helps. BTW, the yellow one looks good in the pictures but I thought it was pretty rough and felt like it was rode hard and put away wet, so I didn't bother to drive or spend much time looking at it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts