The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this shouldnt be here but I guess it shouldnt go under "Elise Experience" either...also, both the Mini and Elise are small and handle well...:). Fine, move it if ya must...:)

My question is to all with experience with the Mini Cooper S.

What are the pros and cons of this car.??

I will most likely put a deposit on Cooper S tomorrow. I will get Hyper Blue with blue/blk leather with sportspackage. I will prob. get white top with white racing stripes for hood. Will also get chrono pack cause I hate the speedo at center dash. Cant believe the waitlist is 1 yr long here in Portland. Was going to buy used but the used prices are unbelievable!. It like depreciates by a 1K per yr and thats it.

What I like about it is that it handles fairly well. It is small and responsive. It has alot of style points and to me, that is the main selling point. It definitely grabs peoples attention. Obviously has great resale value. The interoir is very nicely done. It is fairly cheap also. OK, it would be apparent that Im buying this car it looks cool but thats good enough for me...:).

My dislikes is that for how small the car is(dont know about golf clubs), it feels kinda heavy and doesnt feel very quick at all. I was suprised how slow the 168HP engine was. The brakes are decent but nothing great. It does have German feel although made in UK.

So anything else I should be aware of before I prder?. Am I missing something important?. Do you guys/gals see this as a great daily driver???. TIA.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
whenever i see those things i expect like 15 clowns to come tumbling out of it...
:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
We had one in the family for 2 years. Actually, my husband had it at the same time I had my first Elise (S2), so I got to compare the two directly. The Cooper S handles well for a 'normal' car, and compared to most American cars it will probably feel like a go-kart, but it's not even close to the Elise. In fact, it's not even close to a 350Z. It is fun, but it always felt slow to me, and not especially small or chuckable as it's front wheel drive and I'm used to rear. I always had more fun driving our original (old style) Mini Cooper and now my husband has more fun with his Z. It basically does everything the Cooper S does, but better. Sorry, didn't mean to put a damper on the idea! That is just my opinion (as a sports car fanatic, serial Lotus/TVR owner) and my husband's opinion, as someone who was never that much of a car fan, but who now loves his Z so much he makes excuses to drive it and is ordering accessories! :eek:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I just took one in on trade on a 2001 C4 coupe..
It is a Cooper S in racing green with white stripes and white roof and mirrors. We are asking 23K for it(2k low according to the local BMW dealer). If it sounds interesting call me tomorrow or post a PM... (510)502-0172

·
Registered
141 Posts
My wife and I have had a Cooper S for two years now. After 25,000 miles of zooming around I can tell you that the car is a lot of fun. I have to agree with the post above that compared to most american cars, the Mini feels like a go-kart. Our's is fully loaded with every option except the leather. We went with the leatherette fake leather thing, and if I had it to do over, I'd avoid that as it doesn't breathe very well and that can be a problem in the heat of Los Angeles where we live.
The power is in need of some help. We added a Magnaflow exhaust and a BMP cold air intake and that helped a lot. Power is still lacking below 3,000 rpm's though. That supercharger doesn't really breathe until then.
Pushed to the limit, it does just that....pushes. Come into a corner too fast and those little tires will just give out as you try to turn.
On the plus side, as a daily driver the Mini rocks! It can hold EVERYTHING. We put the back seats down and load it up all the time. Note the picture I've included. Yes that's a tree IN the car. Had to get it home somehow....
Those are custom wheels that we have since had chromed. Much better now. If you are thinking about getting the white wheels, think again. The brake dust is horrific. I mean above and beyond what you'd expect. One afternoon of driving normal and you have a pound of brake dust on your wheels.
We avoided the long wait, and paid sticker by calling across the country until we found the Mini dealer in Indianapolis. Ask for Amanda Pellagrini. She ordered it the same day we called, then three months later it was in our garage. Covered carrier shipping was around $1500. Beats the wait or the $5,000 over sticker charge. Hope some of this helps.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
girlracer said:
We had one in the family for 2 years. Actually, my husband had it at the same time I had my first Elise (S2), so I got to compare the two directly. The Cooper S handles well for a 'normal' car, and compared to most American cars it will probably feel like a go-kart, but it's not even close to the Elise. In fact, it's not even close to a 350Z. It is fun, but it always felt slow to me, and not especially small or chuckable as it's front wheel drive and I'm used to rear. I always had more fun driving our original (old style) Mini Cooper and now my husband has more fun with his Z. It basically does everything the Cooper S does, but better. Sorry, didn't mean to put a damper on the idea! That is just my opinion (as a sports car fanatic, serial Lotus/TVR owner) and my husband's opinion, as someone who was never that much of a car fan, but who now loves his Z so much he makes excuses to drive it and is ordering accessories! :eek:

thanks for input...I agree with you really...I would prefer 350Z but dont want to spend that much on daily beater...as for handling, the Cooper cannot compare to the Elise but thats why Im getting one of those also...:).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
steadicam said:
My wife and I have had a Cooper S for two years now. After 25,000 miles of zooming around I can tell you that the car is a lot of fun. I have to agree with the post above that compared to most american cars, the Mini feels like a go-kart. Our's is fully loaded with every option except the leather. We went with the leatherette fake leather thing, and if I had it to do over, I'd avoid that as it doesn't breathe very well and that can be a problem in the heat of Los Angeles where we live.
The power is in need of some help. We added a Magnaflow exhaust and a BMP cold air intake and that helped a lot. Power is still lacking below 3,000 rpm's though. That supercharger doesn't really breathe until then.
Pushed to the limit, it does just that....pushes. Come into a corner too fast and those little tires will just give out as you try to turn.
On the plus side, as a daily driver the Mini rocks! It can hold EVERYTHING. We put the back seats down and load it up all the time. Note the picture I've included. Yes that's a tree IN the car. Had to get it home somehow....
Those are custom wheels that we have since had chromed. Much better now. If you are thinking about getting the white wheels, think again. The brake dust is horrific. I mean above and beyond what you'd expect. One afternoon of driving normal and you have a pound of brake dust on your wheels.
We avoided the long wait, and paid sticker by calling across the country until we found the Mini dealer in Indianapolis. Ask for Amanda Pellagrini. She ordered it the same day we called, then three months later it was in our garage. Covered carrier shipping was around $1500. Beats the wait or the $5,000 over sticker charge. Hope some of this helps.

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill...isnt it funny how such a small car with a supercharged engine with 168 feels sooo slow???...With a new exhaust and CAI, can you get the HP to 200?...it seems like you would need at least 200...thanks for the the contact info in IND but I would prefer to buy this thing next fall cause Im expecting the Elise around Christamas time...if 2 new cars showed up at once, wife would leave me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I own a MCS. I've had it for more than a year now and I really like it.

It's a great, fun, daily driver. It handles very nicely for a FWD car.

I do have minor quibbles with it. The interior trim on the door vibrates with the stereo. Easily fixed, just haven't gotten around to it.

Need to get the latest firmware upgrade. I get minor yo-yo surging occassionally upon normal acceleration.

-Jim

·
Registered
389 Posts
mact3333 said:
thanks for input...I agree with you really...I would prefer 350Z but dont want to spend that much on daily beater...as for handling, the Cooper cannot compare to the Elise but thats why Im getting one of those also...:).
Ah ok, Cooper S *and* Elise - I think you'll be more than happy! :D And I must add, thanks for buying British! ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree with atyclb. 200hp is only a smaller supercharger pulley, high-flow intake, and exhaust upgrade away. The light weight wheels also help a lot.

I've had my MCS for almost a year now and I love it. Two of the modifications that MINI did to the US spec model was a ridiculous clamp-on cup holder, and a smaller rear sway bar. I removed the cup holder immediately. Shortly thereafter I added H-Sport springs (which stiffen the rear spring rate quite a bit) and a 25.5mm tublar rear sway bar to reduce the understeer. I also ditched the 16" 45lb run-flat wheels and tires (If you buy the 17" MINI wheels they are 55lbs per corner). I upgraded to 16x7 Volk Racing LE37T wheels (11.2lbs), and 205/45 16 Toyo Proxes T1S tires (18.1lbs).

You can also save weight by choosing your factory options wisely. I ordered only cruise control and the upgraded stereo. My current weight of the car (without driver) is 2525lbs. If you want better performance, avoid heavy options like the sunroof, leather seats, Xenon lights, etc.

The MINI is a blast to drive, and brings lots of grins. BTW, I'm looking for a source for red foam clown noses to keep in the glove box. :D

John

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DesignIt said:
I agree with atyclb. 200hp is only a smaller supercharger pulley, high-flow intake, and exhaust upgrade away. The light weight wheels also help a lot.

I've had my MCS for almost a year now and I love it. Two of the modifications that MINI did to the US spec model was a ridiculous clamp-on cup holder, and a smaller rear sway bar. I removed the cup holder immediately. Shortly thereafter I added H-Sport springs (which stiffen the rear spring rate quite a bit) and a 25.5mm tublar rear sway bar to reduce the understeer. I also ditched the 16" 45lb run-flat wheels and tires (If you buy the 17" MINI wheels they are 55lbs per corner). I upgraded to 16x7 Volk Racing LE37T wheels (11.2lbs), and 205/45 16 Toyo Proxes T1S tires (18.1lbs).

You can also save weight by choosing your factory options wisely. I ordered only cruise control and the upgraded stereo. My current weight of the car (without driver) is 2525lbs. If you want better performance, avoid heavy options like the sunroof, leather seats, Xenon lights, etc.

The MINI is a blast to drive, and brings lots of grins. BTW, I'm looking for a source for red foam clown noses to keep in the glove box. :D

John

John, is that hyper Blue?..love that color...really like Indy blue but no longer an option I heard....think Ill try CAI and new exhaust...and perhaps new wheels.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
atyclb said:
mine are toyoT1-S tires with Kosei K1 Racing wheels (16")

cost was just over $1000 total. Wheels weigh 15lbs each.
for just the wheels???...or tire/wheels?..wow,,,cheap..either way, I like it cause its much cheaper than the SSR GT3/Mich. tire package I had for the M.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
mact3333 said:
for just the wheels???...or tire/wheels?..wow,,,cheap..either way, I like it cause its much cheaper than the SSR GT3/Mich. tire package I had for the M.
tires AND wheels together

wheels from tire rack, tires from onlinetires

wheels were $160 each, tires were around $100 each

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats unbelievable!...tires and wheels for 1000.00????...we are talking about all 4 right?..:).

I really like the Koseis but since they are white, isnt it hard to keep clean with brake dust????

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
mact3333 said:

I really like the Koseis but since they are white, isnt it hard to keep clean with brake dust????
yeah, but they go really well with the roof and stripes :cool:

and these are really easy to clean--even the insides--a full sized wash sponge will fit between the spokes.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aty, why did you go with 16 inch wheels rather than 17"???...isnt 17 " stock for S model???

I talked to Tirerack. You did well cause price on your combo appears to be ther best and lightest!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
mact3333 said:
Aty, why did you go with 16 inch wheels rather than 17"???...isnt 17 " stock for S model???

I talked to Tirerack. You did well cause price on your combo appears to be ther best and lightest!
mostly ride comfort for the wife

stock size is 16 for the S model, but 17 is stock for the sport package. we got the sport package, but I wouldn't get it if I was ordering one again.

it doesn't really get you anything good, and the things that come with it can be ordered a la carte if you want.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts