The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....Just wondering - been looking, but haven't seen any except the guy in China, I PM'd but no response.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I think these and matching front louvers are too difficult for most CF production techniques. Shame.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is there a cosmetic reason they need to stay as one?

The louvers wouldn't be hard to make if you can make each individually and attach them as a second stage. The differences in weave pattern wouldn't even matter, in context of the front, the weird angles would make it impossible to notice. The back square-ish ring around wouldn't even need to be carbon.

The only thing I can see being a problem is the heat from the engine and radiator. Even that is unlikely to be a problem, just something to check.

This all seems in the realm of weekend project rather than engineering nightmare. I think the hardest part would be getting louvers you're willing to break to make models.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Is there a cosmetic reason they need to stay as one?

The louvers wouldn't be hard to make if you can make each individually and attach them as a second stage. The differences in weave pattern wouldn't even matter, in context of the front, the weird angles would make it impossible to notice. The back square-ish ring around wouldn't even need to be carbon.

The only thing I can see being a problem is the heat from the engine and radiator. Even that is unlikely to be a problem, just something to check.

This all seems in the realm of weekend project rather than engineering nightmare. I think the hardest part would be getting louvers you're willing to break to make models.
Actually, I've considered this same solution... Just place CF louvers in a slotted plastic frame. This would still require both CF and plastic fabrication though and the overall market might be too small to make this feasible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts