The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys are running your track pack suspension on the street. I'm stock right now (130/130). Anyone running race spec on the street to raise the feel of your street experience? Or is it too harsh?

Or have you found another setting optimal for your local street conditions? Just curious what folks with the track pack are running.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
In general or most of the time I have the shocks set to, 2 back 3 front, and 120mm ride high. Some times 3 back 4 front. The sway bar is set one from the end P4 out of 5 holes (P1 is the short lever arm and stiffest setting, P5 long lever arm softest setting). Short arm is more understeer.

Tires are Toyo T1Rs 195/50 front (stock size) 235/45 rear. This is my highway/daily driver set up. If this was more a pure weekend car or more track oriented I would not use the 235/45 but a 235/40, or 245/40 with a 205/45 front (assuming you can find a tire in these sizes). The stock tire size is good (sport/track pack size) too.

Also if this car was a more track oriented/pure fun I would not use Toyo T1Rs but the Toyo R1Rs or such.

I going on 64,000 miles now so this will give you a feel for how I use my car.

Have fun
Kevin

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, excellent info, thx!

Do you ever experience ground clearance issues at 120mm? 10mm isn't much difference. I'd like the feel of the car to be at it's best at all times. Right now I have zero ground clearance problems over any speedbumps, etc I've encountered. I am willing to make compromises though. Have you found you've had to make usability compromises at 120mm?

Thx again!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
No speed bump problems but I will avoid some if I can or go over at an angel just to be safe. But I have never rubbed one. As for driveways, up at an angel. I did get surprised once going through a drainage ditch/gutter, where a side street meets a main one, and didn’t slow down enough (beating on coming traffic) and rubbed my chin a bit. The car was new and I didn’t think it was that big a dip. Only did that once and I learned not to do that again. After that I have never had a problem.

You should not have any problems at 120 so I say do it.
Also give your sway bar a try at P4 you may like it.
When I had the Yoko 048s I would set the shocks 1 softer for the street if I was going to be on one of the bumpier roads. The Toyo T1Rs have a softer sidewall so I set the shocks 1 harder then I did with the Yokos.

Kevin

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the tips! I'm a long way off from needing tires, but will defitely save this for when the time comes. I do love yoko's, except that they get a little hard in their later life. Never had the Toyos before.

I think i'll give it a shot.

So if I read correctly, to adjust the spring perches, the suspension has to be loaded (ie weight is not lifted off the wheels, car is lifted at the wheels and not the frame). Is that correct?

Any tips for measuring height? Or is it a certain number of 1/4 turns on the perch?

Thx

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Smoky, my '06 Exige is used (based on miles) about 80% street and 20% track. Presently, ride height is at 130mm / 130mm primarily because of clearance issues getting into and out of my driveway.

On track, I originally used factory recommended Track Pack settings of 8 front / 7 rear but now prefer 8 front / 8 rear slightly more. That is the cool thing about TP...playing with damper settings and sensing the difference. Track tires are AO48s on Rota wheels.

On street, I use TP settings of 3 front / 2 rear. Street tires are Toyo T1Rs on Lotus wheels. I chose the T1Rs for durability, handling in the rain, ride compliance, and a decent performance envelope for street use.

At 130mm / 130mm and with TP, the car has a fair amount of roll in corners. A lower ride height would eliminate some of the roll and make the car feel more planted. In a perfect world (driveway ground clearance not being a concern), I'd go to 120 mm in front and 125mm back to lower the center of gravity and dial in some rake for downforce improvement. Also, I'd upgrade the TP package to Nitrons or Ohlins for improved cornering during track use.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If I remember right you will need to get an alignment after any high change.
Check the top thread “Factory Track….” for more info. And there are a few threads about how to set the ride high and all.

Kevin

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on the alignment. Would prob do this the same time I install the toe-link brace, so I'll get it realigned for all that at once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts