The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any info on whether or not the stock Elise was manufactured with a catalytic converter or not. My Elise passed a smog test in 2009 but I was wondering if it would still pass the test or not still? I would assume yes because I havent done any mods to the car. Anyone know about the catalytic converter??? Thanks!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes, the Elise comes with a catalytic converter.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
It is immediately after the headers, easy to spot with the diffuser off.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I can't find any info on whether or not the stock Elise was manufactured with a catalytic converter or not. My Elise passed a smog test in 2009 but I was wondering if it would still pass the test or not still? I would assume yes because I havent done any mods to the car. Anyone know about the catalytic converter??? Thanks!
kind of a weird question to ask for someone who has been here for 2 years & 300+ posts

:nanner:

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Many cars after 1976 had CATS, they were required by EPA in 1986. If you don't have one, someone removed it. You may still pass IL sniffer(emissions) test if your motor has not been molested too much.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Many cars after 1976 had CATS, they were required by EPA in 1986.
Yep Federal mandate for any car legal to drive on public roads. So unless its something like a "kit car" then yes it has (at least) 1. And even then kit cars may still need one in order to meet the emissions levels of what ever year they are registered as.

Now some cars can get away with not having mufflers since according to federal requirements a turbo "muffles" exhaust gases. The Dodge SRT-4 comes to mind as a recent car that did not have mufflers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts