The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does driving the Elise ever get old for you, or is it always a blast to drive? Anyone ever purchase one just to enjoy it a few times only to sell it later?

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
327 Posts
Think of it like this,,, The Elise does 1 thing (handles) better than almost any car on the road today. That says something for a 20+ year old design. It does so at the expense of almost everything else (comfort, convenience, etc). It's why may of us have other cars although if you asked us, we all enjoy the Elise the most. Its like the best you ever had, you always remember it.... :)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I make sure I am in the mood to drive it , thus no it never gets old driving. If I drive too often, yes I get tired of it. So I don't drive it but a few times a week right now. Ownership can become a quick chore if you don't have other vehicles that round out your vehicular needs.

I personally agree with the statement that they are toys. On the other question, yes, when they first came out in 05 they sold very well, and many people were not ready for the actual experience and lots of vehicles were re sold quickly over the first years depressing prices. Now many or at least more of the vehicles have found longer term homes. People who had more information and were seeking that keen knife edge type experience we all love and enjoy.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
327 Posts
I think what they found out was that after 6 years, the market for these cars was about 6,000 units total, which is what we have in the US, less whatever wrecked. If demand for a car like this were higher, Alfa (a modern day Elise, sort of) would have sold more than 150 4Cs last year. The 05s pretty much sell for $30K give of take a few, which has been stable for the last few years. With supply fixed and selling prices stable, that indicates the market has what it wants.

For me, these cars put as many smiles on the faces of people who see them in parking lots as the people who park them there. I didn't buy it because others like it, I bought it because I did. The attention it gets is a bonus I guess. It does make any trip you take 5-10 minutes longer though. There is always someone asking about the car - You all know what I mean.

·
Addict
1,327 Posts
I've had mine for just over 7 years and driving it has yet to get old for me. It's just so much fun with the quickness and the sounds as its revs. I look at cars for sale a lot and often think about other track cars and even the cars I've been in that are faster are just not as much fun to me.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I love my Elise! Have not found anything yet that compares. Maybe not as fast as some of the newer cars but damn it is exhilarating! Now just took my 1972 yamaha LT2 100 enduro for a spin and well that is crazy fun too! On the track it really shines and makes the supercars wonder what's in their mirror around the twists. Closest thing is probably the 125 shifter Karts but yeah not so good on the streets. Tommy

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
No, unless you have some really slow motorcycles. It'll corner better though.

San
Well San a 2 cycle at max rpm still makes me smile! and the smell well yeah brings back so many memories. Tommy

·
Less is Better
2,516 Posts
I've had mine for seven years. It's better every time I drive it. It is impossible to find another car with all that communication and information so where would you go from here anyway?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,393 Posts
Well San a 2 cycle at max rpm still makes me smile! and the smell well yeah brings back so many memories. Tommy
My V4S feels like a huge 2-stroke in the higher rpms and it has an "optional" exhaust so it smells too (in a good way).

My first motorcycle was a Kawasaki 500cc triple two-stroke (H1 Mach III 500). You could replace the baffles, but they'd find a way of getting away (like a sock from the dryer).

Still breaking in the 2020 S1000RR (at 210 miles as of an hour ago) and a 2021 CBR1000RR-R (only 47 coming to the US) is on the way as well. The R1M is gathering dust for now as the rear tire is down to the belts. They're all in the way of my Exige S, so it is in hibernation mode for now.

San

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am fortunate to have a daily driver + 09 Elise + 16 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider

Both my daily driver and the 4C are faster than the Elise and feel faster than the Elise (acceleration and straight line). The Elise was out for winter but I still drove the Alfa a few times. I won't lie, a few times it crossed my mind to sell it but I took it out of "winter storage" and drove it on a twisty road and I'm back in love. There's something about rowing your own gears, about flooring it and revving the engine up to 8k RPM and still being able to take corners quickly with momentum. It inspires confidence and you're going plenty quick but not kill yourself quick like some of my friends with faster cars (or hell, even the Alfa). It's certainly a car for special occasions but it certainly is special. Hasn't gotten old for me.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
54 Posts
I don’t care about comfort, noise, radio, lack of gadgets, etc. This car is like sex on wheels!!!! It’s basically like a one night stand with a dirty hoe!!!
You said that so well.poetry like that makes
me want to cry.No it makes me want to
go for a ride!!!

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
As
I am fortunate to have a daily driver + 09 Elise + 16 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider

Both my daily driver and the 4C are faster than the Elise and feel faster than the Elise (acceleration and straight line). The Elise was out for winter but I still drove the Alfa a few times. I won't lie, a few times it crossed my mind to sell it but I took it out of "winter storage" and drove it on a twisty road and I'm back in love. There's something about rowing your own gears, about flooring it and revving the engine up to 8k RPM and still being able to take corners quickly with momentum. It inspires confidence and you're going plenty quick but not kill yourself quick like some of my friends with faster cars (or hell, even the Alfa). It's certainly a car for special occasions but it certainly is special. Hasn't gotten old for me.
As a 4C owner too, I agree with your statement.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
My V4S feels like a huge 2-stroke in the higher rpms and it has an "optional" exhaust so it smells too (in a good way).

My first motorcycle was a Kawasaki 500cc triple two-stroke (H1 Mach III 500). You could replace the baffles, but they'd find a way of getting away (like a sock from the dryer).

Still breaking in the 2020 S1000RR (at 210 miles as of an hour ago) and a 2021 CBR1000RR-R (only 47 coming to the US) is on the way as well. The R1M is gathering dust for now as the rear tire is down to the belts. They're all in the way of my Exige S, so it is in hibernation mode for now.

San
Well those are way out of my league! Here is my old project hahaha Still a blast though. Tommy

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,393 Posts
Well those are way out of my league! Here is my old project hahaha Still a blast though. Tommy
My garage at the moment. In the background you can see my old Dainese jacket. There's a story there, but I'm not allowed to talk about it yet.

San

1 - 20 of 37 Posts