The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Now that looks like a fun garage! Decisions decisions decisions what do I ride/drive today Hahaha. Awesome!

·
Registered
104 Posts
NEVER gets old. I work from home so I only take the Elise out for fun (not for commuting). I live 5 minute from the Blue Ridge Mountains so I live in a perfect area for a car like this. I drive it just about every day that is sunny or above 45 degrees. It's an adventure every single time I drive it. There's nothing like it and probably never will be in the future, especially as manual transmissions disappear and cars go electric. I hope my Elise lasts as long as I do because I can't think of any other car that even comes close in terms of pure driving enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Think of it like this,,, The Elise does 1 thing (handles) better than almost any car on the road today. That says something for a 20+ year old design. It does so at the expense of almost everything else (comfort, convenience, etc). It's why may of us have other cars although if you asked us, we all enjoy the Elise the most. Its like the best you ever had, you always remember it.... :)

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
It is a word, like all words, and any corporate pronouncements aside, it has a plural
Technically '"Lotus cars" is the corporate pronouncement, and when I start working their I will use it.

Unitl then, I will continue to speak English..............

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love my SC, but I honestly got tired of driving it as a daily for my commute to and from work. I enjoy it much better when I can take it out when I want to, instead of having to fold into and out of it when I just need to go get some milk/eggs. That being said, it was still a great decision and I am glad I own one.

edit: That GTR is really nice. It'd be on the short list of "yes please."

·
Registered
983 Posts
I didn't really get tired of it, but I have limited space and have started to cycle through cars more frequently and just decided it was time to move on. I felt like I didn't drive it enough to justify keeping it and paying the insurance. They were always a 3rd or 4th car, and once the novelty of it wore off a bit, I didn't drive it (or track it) enough. I decided I wanted a driving experience I could share with my family, wanted something a bit less ostentatious that wouldn't elicit potentially negative reactions if I drove it to work or to clients, and actually had a few basic comforts that made driving it on the street more tolerable (halfway decent A/C and radio). If I had room for 8-10 cars and enough money to comfortably insure them all, I'd probably get another one. However, with limited garage and driveway space, I will probably keep trying something different every few years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does driving the Elise ever get old for you, or is it always a blast to drive? Anyone ever purchase one just to enjoy it a few times only to sell it later?
I have a 2006 Elise that I bought in May 2006, so exactly 14 years. I still have it, but until I got an Evora 400, I literally drove it every day. For 12 years. And even today when I pull out for a drive, it puts a huge smile on my face. Amazing, unique car.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
327 Posts
Unique it is. Todays regulations make it impossible to make again (headlight height, etc). It is a car that excels at what it does flawlessly. Just dont ask it to do much else ‐ I'm fine with that

·
Registered
296 Posts
The car may be 16+ years old, but driving it never gets old. Bought it in December ‘04 and it has been my daily driver since (except Dec thru March in northeast). Electric, like an extension of the nerves in my hand, feet, eyes and ears. Rock solid and even practical — bought an extension ladder once and brought it home in the Elise. My only complaint is that it is too large —the size of a Type 14 Elite would be better. Will never sell it.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,267 Posts
Anyone ever purchase one just to enjoy it a few times only to sell it later?
I think people sell their Elige for 3 main reasons.

1) Too old/painful to get in/out.
2) Too fat/large to fit in comfortably.
3) They are not true car enthusiasts, ie. boring.

Having kids, no room, not driving it enough are just excuses. :)

Lets face it, the car is small enough you can store it in your attic until you get the time/money/space to enjoy it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think people sell their Elige for 3 main reasons.

1) Too old/painful to get in/out.
2) Too fat/large to fit in comfortably.
3) They are not true car enthusiasts, ie. boring.

Having kids, no room, not driving it enough are just excuses. :)

Lets face it, the car is small enough you can store it in your attic until you get the time/money/space to enjoy it.
Well said, I got my exige when I found out my wife was pregnant. It was a bit of a ”thing” with my wife but now that my kids are older they like it too. My 3 yo want a ride so bad...
It's a ”cheep” car for the performance and for how rare it is, and, more importantly, I can do most of the work on it myself. I actually enjoy doing the labor, unlike my daly drivers.
It's an event to drive it as I have to move cars around to get it out, but that is part of what makes it special...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Not really no. I've had it for a long time.. 7-8 years or so. I have an 8 month old baby now so I don't drive it as much but I always admire it in the garage :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, absolutely it gets old. After getting my Exige I drove a few thousand miles in a couple weeks. At some point it did start to feel like just a car. At some point the roads just weren't twisty enough for fun. At some point I got sick of the attention (windows rolled up, avoiding eye contact w/ people at stoplights, gas stations, etc).

But two points -
1. It made every car boring. I finally got back into my daily miata and it was just another mushy DD. Very few cars (none) I see on the road excite me. Ferrari flys by on the highway? meh. Lamborghini at cars and coffee... AWD w/ flappy paddles no thanks. Porsche GT3RSR919 Turbo S - just another bulky Porsche. Sure there's the occasional '05 Ford GT or Carrera GT that makes you think "yeah, that could be fun", but that feeling gets rare.

2. I put the Lotus away for the winter, spent time wrenching on it, and now I can't think about anything other than driving it. If it gets boring, just don't drive it for a bit. Your first time back in you'll realize nothing else could give you that fix. That same mix of handling, feedback, and style couldn't be matched for triple the running costs.

So yeah, it gets old. But comes back quick, and has no equal

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
NO

except it's boring as hell when just doing regular street driving. Took it to the dyno a couple times last month and holy sh*t it I was sleeping behind the wheel red light after red light.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Drove the Exige yesterday for the first time in 3 months.

I live at the base of the LA Canyons... there were TONS of cool cars driving up and parked near the base.

I drove down to visit a friend and I was getting thumbs ups and honks from a bunch of car enthusiasts. That in itself makes it fun all over again.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts