The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mind you I set timing with the two orange indicators and the yellow properly. Im having trouble getting the car too start and a few folks indicated checking the timing, does this look ok? #1 Piston at TDC.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yamaha :confused: I thought Toyota made engines for the Exlige.

Next step, please say what year and model car you have. Example:
2006 Elise, 2006 Exige, engine litre, you get the picture, more information helps.

From looking at the cam gears as an Esprit owner I would have to speculate the two dot's should line up together as they do on our cars. If they are supposed to then you are one tooth off. It will really mess up your timing.

Now it's time to get into the future Marty or back... I think they used to call them 'books'

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
I think he's saying invest in the shop manual.

And, no, it looks one tooth away.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've got the 2ZZ manual in front of me. It's easy to find if you just google 2zz-ge manual. And yes that is correct. The 2zz is supposed to be off by one tooth.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Please post your VIN number, it helps us to determine what car you have.
I just don't want to end up with your car in my next purchase. PLAYER here if you need to use stupid videos to make your point... child's play. Here on Lotus Talk we are SERIOUS about these cars and how they are taken care of. Please move your BS on to another forum.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just don't want to end up with your car in my next purchase. PLAYER here if you need to use stupid videos to make your point... child's play. Here on Lotus Talk we are SERIOUS about these cars and how they are taken care of. Please move your BS on to another forum.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had no idea we were so SERIOUS here on LT. Does the car try to run at all? I noticed on my car that TDC and the zero mark on the timing cover didn't line up very good, so you might check that.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had no idea we were so SERIOUS here on LT.

I did check to see if it was TDC. It seemed #1 piston was at its peek when the crank pulley was at 0.

I think its mainly due to voltage to the starter. You can see my video the engine is making when I try to start it just a few threads under this.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yep looks correct as it should be one tooth off. The 1zz motor has the lined up together.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
Seriously what a Bunch of IDIOTS to post all the harassing stuff.

Seriously doubt half of them even know what part of the engine there looking at...

With this photo you post it does look ok. just lining up the marks on the gear is not enough to be sure though.

You need to make sure your lined up with the camshaft point as well.

If you did not open up the timing gear cover then you should be OK with that

there are 3 marks on the timing chain, the 2 orange marks should line up right at the top of the motor where your pic is showing. It may not line up right away, the chain moves 8 links back every rotation of the engine so it takes a while to get the colored links to line up with white dot on the exhaust gear and the part of the intake cam where the groove goes the whole way across the vvt unit. And if they never quite line up well you have an issue.

Here's a shot of the intake cam groove you cant see on your pic.

I have not seen it but I hear it will give you a code for being off a tooth.take a pic and look at the dots parallel to the timing chain cover, line the intake cam dot with the plain of the top of the timing chain cover, the exhaust dot should be about a tooth up from the timing chain cover.

So whats the issue? Maybe I can help diagnose?

Here's more on the timing chain: Chain

Type82: do you really need to speak here? really you tell him to read a book? wow what a great answer duuuuuude hahha o its soooooo funny too!! P.s. does not matter the model :thwack:

I'd say you better keep track of the vins because if you ever have car problem you would be soo screwed! u have no idea what to do lol so you just watch for a car that did not break "yet" rotfl Taking the valve cover off seems incredibly scary too me too, "good eye" any car with the valve cover off should be listed on car fax as seriously f'ed up. :wallbang:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
You need to look at the timing marks when the painted chain links are in position.
You really don't need to look at the marks if you have the 3 painted links in the correct spot. see pix

You will need to rotate engine up to 9 revolutions in order to get the painted chain links in the correct spot.

I'm pretty sure you had it correct on the initial assembly. We sent photos back and forth.
It can get confusing after you rotate the engine. The yellow link on the crankshaft gear can not jump or move when the front cover is on.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys for your much needed advice and help.

See this is where I am getting conflicting info. I am 100% certain without a doubt I set the orange and yellow indicators on the correct timing marks the first time, as well as second time (Because I wanted to make sure it was done correctly).

Im quite certain Ive spun the motor more then 9 times, and the indicators didnt match up (this is why I re-did my timing a second time). I talked to a VERY reputable shop and was told it would take a lot more then 9 revolutions to get the colored marks to line up, actually they mentioned it would take upwards of 90 revolutions to get the colored indicators to match up with the timing marks. I took his advice as gold and went along my merry way. So is it actually 9 revolutions of the crank?

I will take the valve cover off again and continue spinning the motor...but Im almost certain Ive spun it more then that, and again, im 100% positive Ive set the colored indicators on the correct timing marks with the #1 piston at TDC

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So whats the issue? Maybe I can help diagnose?
The issue is that damn starter click I get when I go to crank the car. I just want to make absolutely sure the issue wasnt the timing. Me not being the brightest crayon in the box by any means, I'm waiting on a diagram on how to "jump" the starter with it bolted onto the bell housing. Its quite a tight fit :)

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
We're getting this fixed today!! Keep me posted I sent the example on your other thread!

The chain moves 8 links per rotation it should not take more than 10 chain rotations.

Engine will always crank regardless if the timing is correct, this isn't your problem

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I counted nine crank revs when I checked this out a couple of years ago. The orange painted links will pass by the cam gears 9 times or less. I have a video somewhere.

Fixing the starter should be the easy part.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts