The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When looking at the tutorial it appeared that the panel was still attached somehow when pulled from the dash. Does this completely detach? Also, where can I buy replacement clips for the one that I lost when taking off the steering wheel surround.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I want to add this piece as part of my complete project. In case there is any confusion Im referring to the panel that says "airbag" on it. I need it to fully detach. And also need to make sure it can re-attach.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Once you break the clips and pull the cover off, it's retained by some seatbelt material which I think it's riveted on to the cover.

You can pick up the clips at any Lotus dealer so it can't hurt to pull it off and see for yourself.

Here's the diagram from the parts book if it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It does not detach. Per the diagram, the two straps are connected to a bar that bolts to the two upright (part #7 in the diagram) mounts for the passenger airbag. I did un-bolt and remove said bar, but I also had the dash top out of the car and I can not recall if you can get to the bolts and remove them if the dash is on.

Frank--

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
So, what do they put in place of the airbag in countries that don't require it. An actual glove box?

gm
I may be mistaken on this but I am fairly sure prior to 2008 the countries that didn't require the airbags actually had a different dashboard and steering wheel. Then in 2008, to streamline costs, the same dash was put in all Elise's and Exige's - just with a different speedometer readout and of course flipped if RHD.

Today, everyone gets the airbags and the same dash the US gets.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does not detach. Per the diagram, the two straps are connected to a bar that bolts to the two upright (part #7 in the diagram) mounts for the passenger airbag. I did un-bolt and remove said bar, but I also had the dash top out of the car and I can not recall if you can get to the bolts and remove them if the dash is on.

Frank--
I'll be taking the dash top off as well. Is there anything tricky about unbolting that piece or is it straight shooting?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
213 Posts
Once you have the dash off, you can remove the airbag cover. I slid the seatbelt-like straps off of the dash to get the cover out of the way when doing what I needed.

I ended up pulling out the passenger airbag and removed the straps from the airbag cover.

I went to Home Depot and purchased some bolts that I cut the heads off of and screwed them into 4 holes on the airbag cover. With these headless bolts, you can push the cover back into the dash (into the 4 holes) and the black plastic that surrounds the airbag hole will act as a friction latch and hold the cover on there. I will post pictures if you'd like.

Please PM me if you'd like pics and I'll do that for you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I made a small video that's been uploaded to YouTube (may take a few minutes to show up).

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6084319&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6084319&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/6084319">Lotus Elise Passenger Airbag Cover Mod</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2163269">cobrabyte</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once you have the dash off, you can remove the airbag cover. I slid the seatbelt-like straps off of the dash to get the cover out of the way when doing what I needed.

I ended up pulling out the passenger airbag and removed the straps from the airbag cover.

I went to Home Depot and purchased some bolts that I cut the heads off of and screwed them into 4 holes on the airbag cover. With these headless bolts, you can push the cover back into the dash (into the 4 holes) and the black plastic that surrounds the airbag hole will act as a friction latch and hold the cover on there. I will post pictures if you'd like.

Please PM me if you'd like pics and I'll do that for you.
So I will be able to remove the panel by sliding off the strap and I wont have to do anything with the airbag correct? The point is to get this off so I can get it leather wrapped. I dont want to have to mess with the actual airbag. Pics would be great if you have them. Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You will slide the strap off the holders on the dash-side of things (not on the cover itself).

I wasn't concerned with keeping the airbag, so I moved quite hastily and don't remember all the details. I know there's a fabric cover the sits between the cover and the actual airbag unit. I believe this is attached at the same point as the straps.

If you're going to retain the airbag, you may want to pull the dash and then remove the bracing that holds the straps / cover. This way you don't mess up the straps or the cover. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. Hopefully I wont have to remove the brace but I will if I have to. I dont think it would be too difficult regardless. Here's a big question though. there's nothing wrong with driving the car with the dash and all other panel pieces missing right? Well currently I have no turn signals or hazard light light cause when I disconnected those parts I left the connector pieces on the panels themselves which are now in the hands of the shop. Maybe I should go get them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There shouldn't be any issue driving the car without the dash aside from the use of the lights and you can attach the panel that has the start button on it. This'll give you your lights, as well. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.