The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my recent air filter change, I saw a thread that talked about removing the snorkel and others that spoke of adding a cheap velocity stack to the inlet. I did this, although I had to serious melt and bend the 6" velocity stack to get it to fit. Recently, the car had gotten a serious rattle going, especially in the 3K rpm range. I noticed today that the velocity stack had actually fallen off! Stuck my long skinny arm down in the well and pulled it out. Now I'm wondering if I should bother putting it back on (although I think I'll look for a much smaller diameter stack) or if I should go back to the snorkel.

Has anyone done any real testing on snorkel vs velocity stack versus just open? I like hearing the intake sound - especially the whoosh sound on blips - but would go back to the snorkel if there is a reason.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
When looking for HP out of an engine, you’ve got to remember that your engine is nothing more than a pump…and the more fuel you can get into that pump, the more HP you get out of it…simple as that! Now for the combustion side of the story, it’s got to have the optimum air/fuel ration…for the oxygen only. OK…if the intake charge is colder, it will be denser, therefore more HP. Not much to gain, but a gain and not a loss. If you’ve got a ram air intake, you’ve just increased the pressure head of the intake side and therefore the efficiency of the pump. The faster you go, the greater the gain…but the whole intake tract must be sealed. If the ram air leaks out, it’s gone and no gain. I would even insulate the intake system from all the engine heat… again, this is a small gain for a lot of detail work…but still a gain over somebody who did not do this…add about 10 more of these seemingly insignificant gains, and now you’ve got a real advantage.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have always read that the snorkel was engineered for the euro spec cars for the purpose of muffling the intake noise. Long story short, take it off for a louder intake/engine noise.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i thought the snorkel was for going through deep water like on the hummer.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I have always read that the snorkel was engineered for the euro spec cars for the purpose of muffling the intake noise. Long story short, take it off for a louder intake/engine noise.
+1

It sounds fun without it. And the most optimistic I have read is a +2hp, or less than the standard +/- error of a dyno. Most after market cold air intakes dont make that much.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Don't shoot the FNG, just chiming in real quick since I removed my snorkel over the weekend (05' Elise). The sound is different at ridiculously high RPM's, say 5500+ Below that I don't really hear a difference but maybe I'm just deaf from too much top-down/heavy metal music :huh:

Note that I also replaced the air filter with that K&N jobbie at the same time as the de-snorkeling... so maybe a stock air filter would sound a lot different now.

And yes, I realize in the grand scheme of things that 5500 isn't all that ridiculous, just meant that I have to be "on the move" (well on my way) to higher RPM's to hear any major difference in sound.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
What 451 says. At higher RPS, especially throttle blips, it does have a more entertaining sound.

The Ugly truth is: it does not make an astounding sound different.

The Beautiful truth is: it's free and reversible if you dont like it.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I read somewhere in this forum before that its suppose to keep the water out of the air filter box when driven in the rain.
But I've had mine off for awhile and driven in the rain but doesn't seem to have any adverse effect. :shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts