The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a car I'm considering buying. I know it had some track time but I'm not so proficient at reading the dump.

any feedback would be appreciated !
Cheers
Jeff

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Well, all those max rpm timers are ridiculous. Especially when the timer for RPM above 7k is 1 hr 26. lmao

·
Registered
526 Posts
Only thing that stands out to me is the 115C to 119C coolant temp for 21 seconds. That's 239F... pretty hot.

Time at high RPM and time at higher speeds indicate it has been tracked a dozen (maybe less?) or so times, but it doesn't seem like a track rat. Engine might have some expected wear, but as long as compression looks reasonable, it doesn't smoke and camshaft lobes are in good shape... it's probably OK.

7k+ RPM for 1.5 hrs would be easy to rack up during track days.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All, thanks for your observations. Yeah,I couldn't figure out some of the readings that seem puzzling but I've read other posts on the forum about ECU dumps generating some garbage data sometimes. The max engine run timers add up to far more than the total engine time at the bottom. Car has ~ 20,000 miles.
The estimate of ~ dozen or so track days is consistent with the seller's description of the car's history.
As long as there are no show stoppers .....

thanx
Jeff

·
Lotus Technician
103 Posts
this is not a bad dump. I never like seeing standing starts, but only 2 on that amount of runtime is not bad, any doubts though, just have a PPI done. I know this car, I did the ECU dump. looked great from my brief viewing, I did not get it on a lift though or look in depth, but looks really nice. PM me if you have any questions.

T.J.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah,I couldn't figure out some of the readings that seem puzzling but I've read other posts on the forum about ECU dumps generating some garbage data sometimes. The max engine run timers add up to far more than the total engine time at the bottom. Car has ~ 20,000 miles.
The estimate of ~ dozen or so track days is consistent with the seller's description of the car's history.
As long as there are no show stoppers .....
The Max Engine Run Timer is the time at which the Max Engine RPM occurred, not the duration.

But yes, some of the dumps show garbage data. The ECU dump from my Elise showed a max engine RPM of 13,000. Needless to say there would have been some windows added to the block via the connecting rods if that had occurred.

Funny enough, I took the total run time and estimated an average speed of 30mph, which then gave me the estimate of 24k miles on the car. Not too far off!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Duetto, how were you able to get a copy of the ECU dump? I ask because my Lotus dealer, Autosport in Birmingham, Michigan, told me they could no longer read an Elise ECU. They stated Lotus stopped supporting the download sometime in 2019 or 2020. Was I mis-lead?

·
Registered
719 Posts
@chester, if you are local to Auto Europe, then you're local to me too. if you have a 2005 model year can help you with an ECU dump for sure. if you have a different model year, 2006 or 2007, there's a good chance that my obd tool can read that too, but I've never tried.

i wrote a java program that works with a cheap vag com cable to send the appropriate messages to read the performance data. if you want an in person demo, and are amenable to respecting mask and social distancing etiquette, then I'd be willing to meet up.

of course, I'm still highly skeptical of the quality of stored data, but it's interesting to read for the sake of curiosity.

·
Registered
983 Posts
This ECU dump looks cleaner than many I have seen, but I still question some of it. Zero time at 80% to 100% throttle?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent info everyone....thanx much !

Chester, the dealer (no longer a Lotus dealer) told me he would get a dump for me. I didn't think anything of it till I sent it to a local Lotus tech (who agrees with your all's reading of the dump) who said Lotus did indeed cut off support for non-dealers of the Lotus TechCentre computer. He had recently bought the whole setup too. I have no idea why the dealer you talked to can't do it. Although I have heard that the local Houston Dealer no longer has a Lotus technician. Maybe there's no one to do it there at the Michigan dealer either ?

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
54 Posts
@chester, if you are local to Auto Europe, then you're local to me too. if you have a 2005 model year can help you with an ECU dump for sure. if you have a different model year, 2006 or 2007, there's a good chance that my obd tool can read that too, but I've never tried.

i wrote a java program that works with a cheap vag com cable to send the appropriate messages to read the performance data. if you want an in person demo, and are amenable to respecting mask and social distancing etiquette, then I'd be willing to meet up.

of course, I'm still highly skeptical of the quality of stored data, but it's interesting to read for the sake of curiosity.
Thanks for the offer. I live in Austin and traveled to Detroit to buy the 2006 chrome orange Elise. My car definitely had a few track days, so maybe that is why AutoEurope (authorized Lotus dealer) was coy about providing the dump.

·
Registered
426 Posts
just got my dumps back from BOE and I too have a lot of time in the 7000+ RPM range. Car runs fine still but Phil did note it ;) maybe a cross comparison to mine could be beneficial? I’ve been the owner since 600mi and it never went above 4500 RPM previous to me. My dumps have about 32 track days on it and roughly 56k miles.

my only fear with dumps are seeing overheats and launches.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is meant by a "launch" or a "standing start" and whay is it bad ? Is that when you pull away from a stoplight with full acceleration ?
Apparently not since I do that all the time with my wife's SUV and so does all the other traffic I'm with.

Regards
Jeff

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,128 Posts
The one thing that catches my eye, 800 hours of running time. Really not much time in the red line. Engines in my Exige race cars are replaced every 80 hours.
You should inspect the cams as well.
What do you intend to do with this car? Track? or street only?
Another concern, is that the rubber in the suspension bushings is likely aged out, as well as the engine mounts. I have also seen the axle boots fail at this age, which will add to the list of work the car will need done. Keep that in mind when purchasing a 15 year old car.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Only 16 Sek above 210km/h ?! Start racing and stop going grocery shopping in a lotus :D
If this car was originally from Michigan much like mine it's difficult to find tracks that can support an NA Elise/Exige to get 210+... Mid-O straight(kink) never came close to tagging those numbers. I'm sure the supercharged versions could reach this or a very competent driver. Waterford, grattan, gingerman sure as hell don't have places where we can tap those figures.

What is meant by a "launch" or a "standing start" and whay is it bad ? Is that when you pull away from a stoplight with full acceleration ?
Apparently not since I do that all the time with my wife's SUV and so does all the other traffic I'm with.

Regards
Jeff
Clutch dumps on sticky tires that may not have the parts to handle it much less the clutch/transmission shock. Maybe it's just me but I find no enjoyment of dumping the clutch on a 178whp NA elise/exige for the risk you take putting it through those riggers. That was always the words of warning I've received from my lotus dealer as well as other owners.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,128 Posts
Clutch dump is a big no no on the stock transmission.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. This has been an excellent learning experience for me.
I'm just planing on public road use. No tracks.
I'm getting a PPI from a very experienced Lotus Tech. Hope all is well

Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts