The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I have a 3/8" drive impact with 13mm socket and a hand drill with 8mm long socket. It takes me less than 2 minutes to get the belly pan off after I lift the car up and place wooden blocks under the wheels. Replacing it takes a bit longer of cause, but not a problem at all. Remove all the 5 mm screws first (11), then the two 8mm.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
638 Posts
The sheer panel is the piece with the round holes in it under the fuel tank. It needs to come out for a few things (fuel tank removal), but not often. It's a structural component. The undertray is the flat panel forward of the diffuser that covers the underside of the engine bay and the sheer panel. It has three plastic NACA scoops in it. The undertray comes off every time you change the oil filter, among other things.

It's not hard to put the undertray back on the car as long as you have one of the two big bolts handy to immediately start into its hole once you get the front of the undertray slotted in to the chassis. I've done it on a creeper a couple of times now, and it's just not that bad.

Once you've got one of the two center bolts started it will just hang there on the bolt while you find your cordless drill/driver with a 10mm nut driver in it to put all the little bolts in. Leave all the bolts slack 1 turn or so until you've got them all in.

There are many worse jobs as long as the car is jacked up high enough that your nose isn't brushing anything. Getting the shear panel off is supposed to be a bigger deal because of the brake, shifter, and throttle control cables that run under it, but I haven't needed to.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Guys,
I just noticed that my jack helper is a bit different than the ones I've seen online. The 2 vertical extensions on mine are 2" tall. The others I've looked at are maybe 1/2". So when I was test fitting it, it appeared a little unstable. Should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
55 Posts
That looks like it could twist out and drop the car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That looks like it could twist out and drop the car.
Yeah. I was a bit nervous, so I raised it up, very slowly. Appears to be ok. I'll have to get those extensions cut down. I only have 2 flat top jack stands, had to use a block of wood under lift points B.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
It's fine. The longer tubes were made for the diflow diffuser. The diflow diffusers have larger fins. The jack helper with the longer welded tubes will clear the deeper diflow fins.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts