The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to perform the sands and 111 kit to my shifter but when I took off my console I was surprised to see it already had the sands mod. The shifter still feels sloppy though and moves alot when in gear. Is this normal?

YouTube - Lotus Elise Shifter Wobble

Also, what is the point of the reverse lock out? I can put mine in reverse withough lifting the lockout knob... makes no sense. :shrug:

PS: I did not select the music in the background in the video rotfl

What do you all think? :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
My reverse lever works fine, won't let me go in without lifting. Maybe yours is stuck up?

I actually took my console off this weekend. My shifter frame does not move at all it seems (without mod) so I don't see what stan's mod would help with, as you are also wondering

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I The shifter still feels sloppy though and moves alot when in gear. Is this normal?
I think it is unfair to judge the "sloppiness" of the shift lever without the console in place.

The console does provide some structural rigidity to the whole assembly once bolted onto the brackets.

I do expect some travel in the gear lever from gear-to-gear or when in neutral. Nothing on mine feels loose or unconnected.

As for the back-up lockout, I would have that checked. Mine requires a deliberate lift on the ring to get into reverse.

Regards,
Wayne

BTW, I was driving my boss's BMW a few months ago and, when accessing reverse, I used the Lotus lift and push method, the entire shift knob came off in my hand. BMW's don't work that way! Ooops...:wallbang:

P.S. I'm still employed :coolnana:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Looks normal to me. I have not inspected mine with the console out of the way as your vid depicts, but that's about what it feels like.

xtn

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
After Sector 111 plus Stan's shifter mod, my shift lever is ROCK SOLID :up:. What you are showing looks just like mine was before the two mods and the fact that the reverse lockout doesn't work tells me something is wrong with yours if it really has the Stan mod already.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks. yeah i found out that the reverse lockout cable was slack and the little nub wasn't hitting the bar thats supposed to lock out the reverse gear, I adjusted it and it works. I was just curious because it seems my wobbles alot more when in gear. I'll do the stan mod and see how it does.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
thanks. yeah i found out that the reverse lockout cable was slack and the little nub wasn't hitting the bar thats supposed to lock out the reverse gear, I adjusted it and it works. I was just curious because it seems my wobbles alot more when in gear. I'll do the stan mod and see how it does.
Glad you figured it out.

mine is a little "clangy" (especially after the '05 warranty fix)
but works properly.

Now about your music selection.....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
:tadts: No matter how much you stiffen the base it will remain the same. The problem is at the pivot point of the shifter, it is only supported on one side. This is of course to allow you to shift gears, but there is a lot of slack in it.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have to correct my statements above - while my console is rock-solid and the "clack-clack" is gone completely, there is still some play in the shift lever itself when the car is in gear. I don't think it is excessive and I still highly recommend the mods :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts