The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started development on a turbo setup for my 05 Elise. It should be fully installed and tuned in the next 3 weeks. It is efficently intercooled with a user programable (windows) piggyback ECU controller. The ECU will behave completely stock off boost then our system will manipulate it for when boost comes on. It will also come fully mapped for the car (but you can upgrade and change what you want should you desire and just change the settings yourself) It will make 300rwhp. at a very modest 7psi. spoolup should begain by 3200rpm.
I will not advertize here without following the rules but likely will when testing is done. The full kit price is expected to be just $5,500. I would like to get some impressions from you guys on desired features and intrest.

Hey Randy, I will be needing one of your chase cam systems too.
More info. to follow. . .:wave:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Will it use an air/air or air/water intercooling?
Will the piggy back ECU be included in the price?
What turbo are you planning on using for 300RWH at 7 PSI?
Will your setup included a Walbro 255 pump?
Very interested at that price point?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Get ready for a lot of questions. Bamcoc5 asked most of mine expect what size injectors are you planning and where are you located?

·
Registered
907 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Good luck making 300whp at 7psi with a turbo that spools at 3200 rpm.
+1. Not happening unless you've fabricated or sourced some kind of small VTG turbo.

You might make 300 wheel running something like a GT30 or TO4E-46 at 7psi, with a pile of head work. But even with a BB setup, it'll be spooling at around 6,500 on a good day with a tail wind.

I also don't see anything remotely like that happening for 5.5 grand, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very large Spearco core air to air. Question 2 = Included. Q #3 It is a Garrett GT28 ball bearing, I will specify what housings & wheels after instalation and testing. Not sure on who's fuel pump yet but yes, equal or better.:D

Will it use an air/air or air/water intercooling?
Will the piggy back ECU be included in the price?
What turbo are you planning on using for 300RWH at 7 PSI?
Will your setup included a Walbro 255 pump?
Very interested at that price point?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RC 450s. And I reside in So Cal.

Get ready for a lot of questions. Bamcoc5 asked most of mine expect what size injectors are you planning and where are you located?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will do my best. Also please note, I said it will start to produce boost around 3200 (1psi or so) not reach full boost. Full boost will likely be closer to 4500 and it may require 8 or 9 psi - as long as the paramaters are acceptably within limits. My car will be minus its cat. as well, but I plan to dyno test with the cat too. I am certain of at least 290rwhp and aiming for 300. Time will tell.

+1. Not happening unless you've fabricated or sourced some kind of small VTG turbo.

You might make 300 wheel running something like a GT30 or TO4E-46 at 7psi, with a pile of head work. But even with a BB setup, it'll be spooling at around 6,500 on a good day with a tail wind.

I also don't see anything remotely like that happening for 5.5 grand, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i dont want to sound rude, but have you done any of these turbo's on a 2zz before ? i have seen plenty of these turbo's on these motors and no matter what wheels and housings combination you use i dont see it making that much power with that little boost. I think once you are done w/the kit it would be a better time to come up with details and pricing, you dont want to sell yourself short with predictions.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand the sceptism but the awnser is yes, what I am doing has already been done on the 2zz in the Celica GTS. Pricing is in fact set. I myself felt that the boost # would need to be more in the 10 -12lb. range :shrug:
I really do not care as long as it is safe. As for my car, I demanded a 1 year warrantee for being the "test mule" & that was granted provided I do not re-adjust anything. I have full confidence in the team and we will know very soon.

i dont want to sound rude, but have you done any of these turbo's on a 2zz before ? i have seen plenty of these turbo's on these motors and no matter what wheels and housings combination you use i dont see it making that much power with that little boost. I think once you are done w/the kit it would be a better time to come up with details and pricing, you dont want to sell yourself short with predictions.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I will do my best. Also please note, I said it will start to produce boost around 3200 (1psi or so) not reach full boost. Full boost will likely be closer to 4500 and it may require 8 or 9 psi - as long as the paramaters are acceptably within limits. My car will be minus its cat. as well, but I plan to dyno test with the cat too. I am certain of at least 290rwhp and aiming for 300. Time will tell.
Well, good luck with it. For what it's worth, I use a GT28RS on my car, and ~12 psi is good for about ~265whp. That's with some head work, and not entirely conservative AF and timing. To get into the 300's, I need ~16 psi and race gas, and that's really pushing one's luck at stock compression.

The GT28 series can spool well, but the compressor isn't nearly large enough to make 300 whp at such a low boost. As well, with a tiny turbine A/R, you're going to choke it at higher revs. I found a .63 to be about ideal.

Also, you'll want to bring your cam change point down into the 4,800-5,400 range, and that's not possible with a piggyback.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Mr. Simba that sounds pretty close, hopefully the header design and a superior intercooler with improved overall cooling will do the trick or I will need to pull a rabbit out of my hat & feed it to your lion.
Still working on that cam switchover (I have some ideas), I want it at 5400 but may test first with my current "sport ecu" switchover.
Do you run a cat?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
This is going to be great! What piggyback and can it control valve timing? A bit skeptical here but hope I am wrong, actually.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
why couldn't you control the cam switch point with a piggyback , not saying its a good idea and all , but i don't see why its not possible either.

·
Registered
580 Posts
why couldn't you control the cam switch point with a piggyback , not saying its a good idea and all , but i don't see why its not possible either.
You can actuate it however you wish, however, every attempt I made while playing with piggybacks resulted in limp mode. I don't believe it's possible to do it practically with any of the current piggyback offerings out there. If there's something new that can keep the Lotus ECU from freaking out, who knows.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
ahh ok, presumably that was an issue with the cam angle sensor not matching what it was expecting to be, yeah you have to control more than just the switch itself.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts