·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm following the instructions here:
Lotus Elise Maintenance, Oil Change Tutorial

This photo of a stock Elise is from the above link:

However, upon remove of the underbelly tray, my car looks nothing like that photo. Apparently there's an aftermarket Moroso oil pan. I can see the K & N oil filter, and 2 hex plugs. I've labeled them Plug A and Plug B. Any idea which is to drain the oil? I'm confused and would appreciate any advice.
Thanks!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm following the instructions here:

This photo of a stock Elise is from the above link:

However, upon remove of the underbelly tray, my car looks nothing like that photo. Apparently there's an aftermarket Moroso oil pan. I can see the K & N oil filter, and 2 hex plugs. I've labeled them Plug A and Plug B. Any idea which is to drain the oil? I'm confused and would appreciate any advice.
Thanks!

You have an aftermarket oil pan. The lowest plug is what I believe you're after, which may be the plug to the right (in your picture) of the "B" plug. I'm sure someone with a Moroso oil pan will chime in shortly.

San

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have an aftermarket oil pan. The lowest plug is what I believe you're after, which may be the plug to the right (in your picture) of the "B" plug. I'm sure someone with a Moroso oil pan will chime in shortly.

San
Thanks,
I've added a photo of the 3rd plug (to the right of Plug B) that I named Plug C.
Of all the 3 plugs, A and B protrude from the surface, but C is flush.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Plug c is what you want to remove, check the o ring on the plug when you take it out to make sure it’s still round and not starting to flatten out. May help with your oil seepage around the plug.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This pan fits a 2004 Celica GTS.
The 3rd plug, lowest, appears to be the drain plug.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-20970-Aluminum-Toyota-Lotus/dp/B002LC5HQ2/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=Celica%7C1012&Year=2004%7C2004&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=2&vehicleType=automotive[/ame]

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plug c is what you want to remove, check the o ring on the plug when you take it out to make sure it’s still round and not starting to flatten out. May help with your oil seepage around the plug.
Thanks!
What's the benefit of an aftermarket oil pan like this?

·
He's on fire!
3,286 Posts
baffled pan prevents oil starve on sweepers under load. Also, if you're changing the oil be ready to put more oil in than stock before it reads full

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
baffled pan prevents oil starve on sweepers under load. Also, if you're changing the oil be ready to put more oil in than stock before it reads full
What he said, and usually anything he says is good advice.

San

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
809 Posts
Be happy! This pan is a good thing. I was certainly pleased to find a gPan on my car when I dropped the panel - one less thing to worry about and install. Working around it to get to the oil filter mount has been annoying, though. I understand that the Moroso pan is even tighter for clearance on a Lotus than the gPan.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Thanks!
What's the benefit of an aftermarket oil pan like this?
As someone else said, the pan is also predrilled for an oil temp sensor. To me, that was my main motivation for going with an aftermarket pan when I did. I figured if I was going to remove the pan to drill a hole, I might as well upgrade since removing the pan is all the work.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,214 Posts
A trick for aftermarket oil pan is to push from hole C with a long screwdriver the oil baffles (aka trap doors) to let the rest of the oil out when draining the oil.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A trick for aftermarket oil pan is to push from hole C with a long screwdriver the oil baffles (aka trap doors) to let the rest of the oil out when draining the oil.
How do you even get a long screwdriver in there? I had to use a 90-degree Allen wrench to remove that drain plug. Why didn't Moroso put the drain plug at the bottom of the pan, like most OEM pans?

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
353 Posts
Use plug C, it will drain out the most old oil. Thread back in with mild torque, DO NOT GO CRAZY.

Fill the normal amount minus 1/2 qt. start car, run for one minute, shut off, wait a few minutes and recheck level and top off.

Henry
'07 Exige S
'05 Elise

·
Registered
385 Posts
Fill the normal amount minus 1/2 qt. start car, run for one minute, shut off, wait a few minutes and recheck level and top off.
That pan has a larger capacity than the stock pan, and putting in 4 qts. and change won't even be close. A quick search reveals a 6 qt capacity. Start with 5 or 5 1/2, run, check, then top off.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That pan has a larger capacity than the stock pan, and putting in 4 qts. and change won't even be close. A quick search reveals a 6 qt capacity. Start with 5 or 5 1/2, run, check, then top off.

I used 6 quarts. Check the oil after warming up the car, oil level is between the 2 marks.
Thanks,

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
353 Posts
I have the same pan on my Exige S and correct on the 6 quarts. I was just directing
him to the proper drain plug and if he filled with 5 and not 6 initially, no harm no fowl.
Just top it off.

Henry
'07 Exige S
'05 Elise

1 - 17 of 17 Posts