The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked about but couldn't find the thread that explains.

I'm going to change all my inside light bulbs to LED but am having a heck of a time removing the overhead dome light, can't seem to pull the unit out from the roof. I can slide it side to side about 1/4 inch and front to back a little but can't get it to pull out without feeling like it's going to break. It looks like the back end of the unit is suppose to pop down, so I've pushed the whole unit as far forward as I could and tried to pull the back down but it just won't pop out. Is there a certain way this plastic unit pulls out from the headliner? :shrug:

Thanks in advance for any help! :bow:

EFE EVS

·
Registered
606 Posts
I remember thinking the same thing when I removed mine. I used my fingers (or a small flat head screwdriver should work) and worked it loose from the driver's door side (left side of the light as you are sitting in the car. The roof liner will give a little and it will pop loose. My switch was not working as the contacts were corroded with green gunk. I removed from the car and sprayed it liberally with contact cleaner a few times and put it all back together. Hopefully this will help.

James

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
247 Posts
I just did all the interior lights also. I have a small kit of plastic tools for removal of door panels.. I used one to gently pry out the end on the driver's side. It was a little unnerving when if finally came out. From there carefully remove the bulb and replace.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
They are a pain to get out, but if you happen to break it they can be replaced easily since they're made by GM. :huh:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Had same difficulty when replacing my light with LED. It does pop out with effort. To avoid same problem, before replacing, I used a hole punch (leather hole punch tool) to remove a small amount of the headliner where the snap tabs on the light fixture line up. Now unit snaps in and out easily. Careful!-do not remove too much material or tabs will not hold fixture at all...........

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just did all the interior lights also.............

How many bulbs are there in the interior? Are they all the same type of bulbs? The trunk and the dome lights are 1 5/8 inches long, are these the same throughout?

Thanks,
EFE EVS

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,433 Posts
There is a kit list of needed LEDs in here somewhere. Do a google/bing search.

·
Lotus Noobie
107 Posts
Just a side question. Has anyone noticed that you can see your dome light on from the top of your Evora? My car is white and I can see an amber glow from the dome light from above...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a side question. Has anyone noticed that you can see your dome light on from the top of your Evora? My car is white and I can see an amber glow from the dome light from above...
That's so airplanes can see you at night! :panic:rotfl

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
For all those trying to remove the dome light, there is a simple way it comes out but obviously nobody posted it, once I struggled to get it out, I could see how it is suppose to be done.

The proper way to remove it is by simply pushing a flat screwdriver (from the drivers side) into the center of the dome lens (opposite side of the switch) pushing on the locking fingers while pulling the lens down. The lens is not made to just pull down and hope it pops out as some seem to have done. There is plastic locking teeth (in the center of the lens) that must be pushed towards the passenger side enabling the drivers side to drop down, it's very easy when done properly, I had to learn the hard way. It's the same with the lens under the foot wells, the teeth are on the opposite side of the wire clips. Be careful if taking them out while they are still on, they are very hot. Once I remove and pulled down the lens assembly on the lights under the foot wells, I removed one wire so as to shut the power off to the light and let it cool for a minute. The dome light can be shut off even with the doors open. :rolleyes:

So, I changed the two trunk lights, two lights under the driver and passenger foot wells and the dome light. I used the brightest LED lights I could find (blue cast) and they look very cool in the dark. For anybody wanting to purchase them, here is a link to the supplier, they only cost $3.70 each in a quantity of 8 with only $3 (3 day) USPS shipping. The light bulb number is 4211, it's the 6th bulb down on the link page. Make sure you twist the LED light bulb so the lights are facing onto the lens, they are directional. :wave:

EFE EVS

Festoon Base LED Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I just removed my two trunk lights - no power draw at all now

·
Registered
75 Posts
The dome light can be very difficult to extract from the headliner. The clips are actually slightly on either side of 'center' so use something like a 1" plastic putty scraper and it can take some serious push. I had the dealer pop the lens out during annual service and he struggled for a while.

Fear not, even if you break the plastic fingers, the entire dome light assembly is sourced from GM/General Motors as part 13126729 so you can go to any Chevy dealer or online to replace it for about $11 (USD). I haven't seen what Lotus charges for it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts