The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another mishap: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231/help-someone-reversed-into-my-car-76715/

Ignoring for the moment why anyone would back up in traffic, there are steps to take to avoid this:

Stay back far enough so you can see the driver’s eyes in his interior mirror. If you can’t, he can’t see you.

Note that some SUVs have blind spots of up to 50’!!!

Shade your car to the left, so you at least appear in the o/s mirror.

Keep your finger on the horn button.

Tap the car in front gently to remind him you’re there……oh, wait, maybe not.

Hope this helps. Any additional advice will be appreciated.

=gb=

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i always feel bad lecturing when something like this happens to others but this is definitely the truth. I always make sure i'm a couple car lengths back whenever stopped (mostly from lessons i've learned on here). and usually shaded out to the drivers side. It helps that my car is KG too:cool:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yet another mishap: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231/help-someone-reversed-into-my-car-76715/

Ignoring for the moment why anyone would back up in traffic, there are steps to take to avoid this:

Stay back far enough so you can see the driver’s eyes in his interior mirror. If you can’t, he can’t see you.

Keep your finger on the horn button.

Hope this helps. Any additional advice will be appreciated.

=gb=
When I got backed into in my Miata I was 50% to the left. I could see his face in his side mirror - he never looked back. His back window was tinted so I couldn't see his center mirror.

His trailer hitch took out my pass side headlight to give you reference of how far over I was.

I had a Nautilus Airhorn, which once I saw reverse lights I hit, and hit, and hit, and then held. He backed up 20 ft or so, and didn't stop until the miata lifted his rear wheels off the ground.

So your ever-so-wise advise is not always gonna help. some people are just old/blind/deaf/dumb.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I've actually had an older gentleman do this repeatedly (not while in my Lotus mind you) and when questioned, he stated exactly that...reminding me he was there! :eek:

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
This is exactly why I have a ChaseCam running on loop in my car. It's so hard to prove you didn't hit the person in front of you if they decide to change their story later. The ChaseCam also helps when being cut off or someone not seeing you and they enter your lane.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I got backed into in my Miata I was 50% to the left. I could see his face in his side mirror - he never looked back. His back window was tinted so I couldn't see his center mirror.

His trailer hitch took out my pass side headlight to give you reference of how far over I was.

I had a Nautilus Airhorn, which once I saw reverse lights I hit, and hit, and hit, and then held. He backed up 20 ft or so, and didn't stop until the miata lifted his rear wheels off the ground.

So your ever-so-wise advise is not always gonna help. some people are just old/blind/deaf/dumb.
Holy carp! Your last statement is unfortunately correct.....

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is exactly why I have a ChaseCam running on loop in my car. It's so hard to prove you didn't hit the person in front of you if they decide to change their story later. The ChaseCam also helps when being cut off or someone not seeing you and they enter your lane.
i always feel bad lecturing when something like this happens to others but this is definitely the truth. I always make sure i'm a couple car lengths back whenever stopped (mostly from lessons i've learned on here). and usually shaded out to the drivers side. It helps that my car is KG too:cool:
good points.

but, if they don't see you (or bother looking), color is not a factor. We are just too low sometimes.

Chasecam: good idea but too $$ for this use. But, I should learn to get to video recording on my cell more quickly. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts

Maybe add that when practical, don't drive behind vehicles with enormous blind spots. Especially when driving on the freeway, they also tend to limit <b>your</b> view of the conditions ahead, giving you less time to react to dangerous conditions (including road debris that wouldn't threaten larger vehicles).

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe add that when practical, don't drive behind vehicles with enormous blind spots. Especially when driving on the freeway, they also tend to limit <b>your</b> view of the conditions ahead, giving you less time to react to dangerous conditions (including road debris that wouldn't threaten larger vehicles).
You, sir, are 100% correct.

For example, I will let anyone in front of me who signals...except vehicles big enough to blot out the sun.

I don't drive in others' blind spots and don't stay behind trucks, suvs, etc.

thank you.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I know, get a bigger stereo, maybe a massive sub woofer, so they can FEEL that you are there...:shrug:

The 50 miles to get my car to my parents home was the most nauseating 50 miles of my life. I then had his insurance pay to trailer my car back to a shop in the city I was attending college (110miles). car was never the same.

I was quite nervous the guy in my story was going to change his story...but luckily the rest of the story is there was an 18wheeler trying to turn onto the road we were on. the guy in front of me decided the 18 wheeler didn't have enough room, and that's why he backed over me. The 18wheeler stopped and told the cops what happened as well. I would have had a cow (figuratively) if the backer-over would have lied...luckily he was a "good old boy" farmer, and really felt bad for messing up my pretty sportscar.

Oh for anyone who wants pics
miataguy2002's 2001 Mazda Miata on CarDomain - Page 5

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Keep your lights on the daytime. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I backed into my own car. I know, I'm an idiot. Its easier to admit that than blame my wife who might have parked it down a slope right behind and basically hidden.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My Miata in bright red was backed into on the freeway none-the-less about a month ago. And 2 days before that, another lady was exiting the parking lot just as I was walking out the market and she hits my Miata and tried to run off while I chased her down on foot. Just glad I wasn't in my Elise both times. Took it to Carmax the same day. Had the lady pay for the difference as if it was in excellent condition. Got a great price and sold it on the spot. Some times it's just can't be avoided no matter how careful you are. Imagine.. why the fuXk would someone put their car in reverse on the freakin freeway!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Miata had 4100k HID's installed and on @ the time of the incident.

Only reason I bother posting this stuff is to make sure the others who just had this happen know its not their fault.

Kind of like blaming a rape victim for the rape. (ok, slightly less severe :D)

There are morons out there...quite a few from my observations...if you come within reach of one, he may burn you. being prepared and all that may decrease the likelyhood of him injuring you or yours, but in time "stuff happens". Roll with the punches, and move on. its the only way you'll stay sane.

Here's another story
I was 16 driving my beast named Shelby...it was a 1979 Ford Ranchero. Day after thanksgiving, my brother and I went to Best buy to get a few things. after leaving we got caught in a bit of traffic. guy in a 1 ton conversion van (may have been 3/4 ton IDK) rear ended me. well at the time the ranchero wasn't worth much more than 1k. However the bumpers themselves were actually worth 1k each as they were flawless and this is apparently rare. after hitting me, he got out of the van, to which I responded by getting out, and charging him. My brother luckily pulled me off of him. I was a bit less calm back then.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I have been reversed into three times. Never in the Lotus though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
All good info on keeping yourself safe but like others are saying there are some people out there that just cant drive. I cant count the number of times Ive almost been hit by people not yielding when they are making a left hand turn on a green light. Even with a big ass sign right below the light that says left turn yield. Never been backed into in traffic. I know some people or maybe alot would object to this but they should have black boxes in vehicles so people cant say oh he ran into me when they actually backed into someone.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...i'd never considered that they could change their story to a rear-end collision...
:eek:
Yes, it happened to me in my 2002 yrs ago.

Yes. I turn my lights on if forced to pass on right (and really do drive w/finger on horn....leading to a bit of embarassment here/there).

But, just as w/color: If we're too low, nothing we can do will help.

Got ran into by police car that way. Then posted an idea of installing antenna with flag or light on it......got a v bad reaction from the crowd:(

Have lots of ideas, not all are good...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts