The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you run your Elise on a track yet? Which one? What was it like? How does it compare to other cars you've tracked?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Gee, thanks. Nothing like reading the manual..... I should have searched first.

A quick review of the various posts shows a number of people have done track to DE events, but there is not much text comparing the Elise to other cars, and not much about how Lotus is dealing with the Solo II and other track events under the Elise's warranty. Thre are better threads for that discussion, though, than this one, but if anyone wants to reply....

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I did one autocross with my LTS Elise so far. I'm experienced at that sport and do well locally. Most of the time I race an E30 M3 prepared to SCCA STX class which requires street tires - I use G-Force KDs which are excellent.

Using gentle launches and about a 4000 RPM limit on a tight course the Elise did quite well. I ran in demo class ands beat a ZO6 on Kumhos running in ASP and was a tenth off of a Mazda RX7 turbo on Kumhos in Super Stock. No real handling vices. No nasty surprises. In my first run I clobbered a cone - there is no turn-in lag like you must allow for in the M3. In the M car I need to turn-in a hair before I actually need it so that the car has time to respond - sort like how cruise ships need to start a turn way before they actually need to change direction! This was on a bumpy course and the Elise just absorbed all the bumps and was not greatly upset when hitting rough spots while cornering. Some of those bumps upset the BMW which can skitter sideways a few inches at such times. It was easy to get over or understeer... the car did not like entering turns hot as it would then understeer quite a bit with the 175 front tires. I found that the brakes were just amazing and I could brake quite late and trail brake well into a corner which really helped with the understeer issue. I left the tire pressures at stock 26/28 BTW.

I'm used to driving BMWs which mave pretty good midrange torque. On the 7800 redline M3, mostly I am between 3000 and 6000 in 2nd gear. For the Elise which has about a 40+ MPH 1st gear and a 60+ MPH 2nd gear, it looks like you'd want to use first gear here and there so that you can hit Lift. I'm used to a full length gas pedal which is used in BMWs. Until I get used to it, the Elise gas pedal seems like it doesn't extend downward enough but I could extend it or just adapt my foot position a bit. Pedal efforts are way lower than in the BMW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Stan. That was exactly the sort of discussion I was looking for. You told me what you have been driving and how the Elise compares to it. Very useful!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have driven my (pretty much standard S1) Elise around Thruxton race track here in the UK. I have to say that as much fun that you can and do have with the car on the road, it is nothing like the amount of fun you can have on a track.

I was nipping in and around the other cars (Ferrari Modena's, but only on the corners mind!)

Am picking up my 111S on Wednesday, so I'm definatey going to be booking another day!

·
Registered
413 Posts
LOG 24 track reports?

C'mon- it's almost 5pm EST! Where are the reports from LOG's Barber track day today???

photos?!?!?!?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I did an autocross a while back (see thread in this forum "autocrossing"). I do another this Sunday and will try to be much more descriptive in my results. I can't wait!

·
Registered
643 Posts
No doubt the Barber personnel are having to drag each Elise kicking and screaming off the track... ;)

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts