The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 325 the other day. When I first pushed in the clutch I was like woah, this thing is light as feather.
Getting back in the Elise and I forgot how heavy the clutch and steering are in comparison. Made me appreciate my car a little more :)

·
Premium Member
11,691 Posts
®ob said:
I test drove a 325 the other day. When I first pushed in the clutch I was like woah, this thing is light as feather.
Getting back in the Elise and I forgot how heavy the clutch and steering are in comparison. Made me appreciate my car a little more :)
As a kid, I drove a truck. At day's end, I'd get into my bugeye Sprite.

First, it felt as if the Sprite's clutch was broken, as it slammed to the floor.

Then, when getting out of my parallel parking space, I'd just about make a U-turn.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
®ob said:
And just what is your excuse for test driving a Bummer...er, Bimmer? :D

LARRY said:
:D

Lotus.

There is NO comparison.
What he said. :clap:

·
Registered
852 Posts
MNlotus said:
my cousin has a 3 series and he is convinced that his car is better handleing then my elise. rotfl even after he sees 1.06 on the skidpad he still isn't convinced.
I have a BMW 330XI as my daily driver, and the only advantages the BMW has (ignoring the conveniences that make it a daily driver) are a little more torque at low RPM and all-wheel drive. Both are fun to drive, but the Lotus is clearly the faster/better handling/more fun car.

John

·
Registered
744 Posts
Before I got my car, I test drove an Elise and went back into my Rx8.. man what difference... the steering wheel feels too light.. (although I always thought it was too light, just even more so), too big (same as light part), clutch light, and whole car just felt soft...

I knew it was a bad idea test driving and 2 weeks later after the test drive.. I have my Elise... and well.. every car now seems huge, steering wheel too big.. too soft.. only thing I miss is the ease of ingress egress of other cars..

And I used to get getting out of the Rx8 was a pain.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I owned a e90 325xi (only made for 2006 if you don't know) and it was nice handling, fun to drive, but now when I drive it, it feels like a pig. (I gave it to my sister :D)

Must be the steptronic...

This also happened to me after driving a C6. I don't think my car ever felt so slow after that.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I hadn't driven my old 318ti in months. (gave it to Mom, who gave it to Dad when he got her an A6) But I needed to haul my new tires and lotus rims to the tire store (especially after Q-balls thread- this is how I do from now on).

It felt like driving a bus. And I used to think it handled and braked good. The steering, not to mention the giant wheel really felt like a big wallowing bus. Can't wait till the next time I actually drive a pick up, or my Dad's van with exceptionally loose steering.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
MNlotus said:
my cousin has a 3 series and he is convinced that his car is better handleing then my elise. rotfl even after he sees 1.06 on the skidpad he still isn't convinced.

Lateral grip isn't the same thing as handling.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My daily driver is a Honda Element. Talk about DAY and NIGHT.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
My daily driver is a 5 series BMW, which is a fantastic car... but after driving the Lotus, the BMW feels like a battleship! :(

Thomas

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I have two British vehicles.

My daily driver is a Land Rover Discovery II. I don't see how anyone can top that for most un-Lotus-like.

Re: 3 series -- my wife's main car is a 325xiT. It's a great car. It feels crazy huge after getting out of the Lotus. Heck, my old S2000 felt cushy and overpadded when I stepped out of the Exige and into it. It had lightning quick steering, but lacked any true tactile feel of the road.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
SweetDaddyD said:
...The steering, not to mention the giant wheel really felt like a big wallowing bus...
After nearly two years of daily driving, any time I have to drive almost anything else, I grab the giant rim of its steering wheel and think "OK, where's the rest of the laundry basket?" Why power steering-aided cars feel the need to have these massive fulcrums, I don't know...

Tom

·
Registered
141 Posts
After a weekend at the track in the Elise, my A4 avant daily driver felt like a boat. I kept thinking "why am I so high off the ground?" (the avant is lowered) "why is the steering wheel so big?" "why are the steering and clutch so light?" "what happened to all the bumps in the road?" "why can't I hear the exhaust?" "why do I feel like I'm sitting in an armchair?"

OTOH, the avant is smoother in power delivery and ride, the shifter is less clunky, and it has a cupholder for my coffee. :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I traded a 2005 M3 on my Exige and there is no comparison. The M3 felt comparable in a straight line but I enjoy the handling much more in the Lotus. The M3 is like a fast tourer but lacks the hard edge that makes the Lotus so much fun. M's are great daily drivers though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Um, I have an '81 Honda. The only thing it has in common with my Exige is that it's small. Well, maybe that and I get funny looks in both. :D

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
NomisR said:
only thing I miss is the ease of ingress egress of other cars..

And I used to get getting out of the Rx8 was a pain.
After a few months you will develop a good technique and it really is not that big of a deal. I can now get in ( with top on ) with my hands full, i just put right leg in, the butt and plop into the seat. Exit , put left leg out , push off with right hand on steering wheel, and right leg pushing off the ridged aluminum plate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts