The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got pulled over today in my own neighborhood. (Francis Lewis Boulevard near Union Turnpike). The cop said I was doing 62 in a 30 zone. He also said if the driver is doing more than twice the speed limit, they can confiscate the car. Nooooo! :eek:

He let me off with a warning. :clap: I couldn't offer any explanation. I was pulling up from a stop light to get in the right lane for a turn ahead. So I passed the unmarked vehicle and you have to go faster to pass someone, right? I'm not even sure I sped for 1/4 mile.

Has anyone heard of this confiscation?

Dan

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
The speed zones in NYC are absurdly low and nobody follows them (because they are just so ridiculously low).

The highest speed limit allowed in NYC is 50. That's on ALL the major highways. I was just on 495-W going to Midtown Tunnel on Sunday and the speed limit was reduced to 45 mph.

I'm glad he let you off. The reality is they only pull people over who are doing well over the limit, so pretty much anyone they catch is speeding along pretty well. There's no such thing as a 10mph ticket in NYC.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad he let you off. The reality is they only pull people over who are doing well over the limit, so pretty much anyone they catch is speeding along pretty well. There's no such thing as a 10mph ticket in NYC.
I guess times have changed. These days, with the flow of traffic at around 70 mph, it doesn't make sense to nail someone going with the flow.

When I was little, we would make regular excursions from Queens to the Bronx to visit grampa Kalish. Most of the trip was on the Cross Bronx Expressway. My father drove about 5 mph over the speed limit. I asked him why he violated the law and he said they allow a margin, you can go 6 mph over the speed limit. (He was always making up rules to justify what he did.) Needless to say, he got pulled over. I don't remember whether he talked his way out of it (which he often did) or not.

Anyway, I'm heeding the cop's warning, "Don't speed, Daniel." As you know, its hard to resist with a car that can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thank your lucky stars they did not bend you over and throw away the key.

In WA Double the speed limit can be considered as a reckless driving charge. Where then can do the following.

Take you to jail for the night and a few days if they really wanted to.
Impound your car but they wont "take it away"
Give you SR-22 Insurance
Suspend your liscense for atleast 30 days
Give you a 800 dollar fine
Throw you in jail after the fact for several weeks

Will they do all of this small chance if even unless you really really make the cop mad. You for the most part will get a 400 dollar ticket for speeding if the cop isn't very nice still. If his nice he'll "reduce" the speed he caught you at so it's lower then double the limit and your hit with a 250 - 200 dollar fine. Or they can just throw the book at you and you'll have to hire a lawyer for 2500 to fight it in court.

In Cali if you have "mods not CARB approved" and caught "street racing" they will take your car and crush it!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
The speed zones in NYC are absurdly low and nobody follows them (because they are just so ridiculously low).
Yeah, no kidding.
My last two speeding tickets were for doing 40 in a 25 in southern CT, both in my M5. At 25mph, the M feels like its not even moving. In fact, I'm not even sure it registers on the speedo -eek-

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Anyway, I'm heeding the cop's warning, "Don't speed, Daniel." As you know, its hard to resist with a car that can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

You SHOULD be arrested for flogging the car in a way that'll get it going 0-60 in under 5 seconds. It'll do it, but that's abuse.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Not abuse, thats why I bought the car. Its just not proper for public roads.
You bought the car for 0-60? Unless you have a S/C car, to get under 5 seconds pretty much all the major magazines said you have to side-step the clutch at 8500 RPM, aka against the rev limiter.

Do that a couple of times (shown as standing starts on the ECU dump) and Lotus will consider the car abused enough to consider denying drivetrain warranty claims. Actually for drivetrain warranty claims I believe there are a number of threads here that say Lotus considered clutch drops at around 4000 or so RPM's enough to deny warranty claims.

It's intriguing that Lotus now offers launch control on some current models, the use of which basically hands them reason to deny drivetrain warranty claims.

That's Lotus.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You bought the car for 0-60? Unless you have a S/C car, to get under 5 seconds pretty much all the major magazines said you have to side-step the clutch at 8500 RPM, aka against the rev limiter.

Do that a couple of times (shown as standing starts on the ECU dump) and Lotus will consider the car abused enough to consider denying drivetrain warranty claims. Actually for drivetrain warranty claims I believe there are a number of threads here that say Lotus considered clutch drops at around 4000 or so RPM's enough to deny warranty claims.
I've probably done >200 hard launches in the car.... Not a single one has been on a public road. Still on the origional clutch. Also have spent 50+ hours above 7000 rpm.

Lets face it some of us bought the car to be our weekend play toy. If all you do is drive to and from work, the occasional back road, brag to your friends how you details the paint job, then you are missing the point of the car.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You SHOULD be arrested for flogging the car in a way that'll get it going 0-60 in under 5 seconds. It'll do it, but that's abuse.
I went back to the crime scene today and discovered: I had gone 1/4 mile from a dead stop to where he nailed me; there are no speed limit signs anywhere nearby.

I don't think I went 0-60 in 5 seconds. Maybe 15 or 30.

The lack of speed limit signs is relevant. Our conversation went

cop: do you know what the speed limit is on Francis Lewis Blvd.?
me: 40? 30?
cop: its 30, not 50 as set by state law. Do you know how fast you were going?
me: no
cop: 62. If you're going more than twice the speed limit your car can be confiscated. I'll just let you off with a warning. Daniel, slow down.

Its a major road and could readily have a speed limit of 50. But no, its 30. Live and learn. I thought that in NYS, the speed limit defaults to 55. From what the cop told me, it defaults to 50 but in NYC, it defaults to 30.

The cop was decent. He didn't even wait for me to produce the registration. I also wonder if he knew he had a weak case - didn't watch me speeding for 1/4 mile; the speed limit was not marked.

Regardless, I'm now back in city driving mode. Don't race the engine, stay under 40 mph. (It's a Lotus!)

Dan

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I've probably done >200 hard launches in the car.... Not a single one has been on a public road. Still on the origional clutch. Also have spent 50+ hours above 7000 rpm.

Lets face it some of us bought the car to be our weekend play toy. If all you do is drive to and from work, the occasional back road, brag to your friends how you details the paint job, then you are missing the point of the car.
Boy, you're really jumping to conclusions about how I do or do not drive my car.

Fact is you're driving it in a way (makes no difference if on a track, a highway, or a dirt lane) that'll have Lotus telling you to take a hike if you have a drivetrain warranty claim. God Bless You. If you've not had any failures, you've either got a gem of a car or you spend more time and money than the average, enthusiastic/sport owner doing repair and preventive maintenance. Or.....anyway, it's your car, you've paid the price of admission, drive it any way you want, by all means. But these are not durable cars driven at the extreme and per diet plan advertisements...results are not typical. To be clear, I didn't say ANYTHING about spending lots of hours above 7K RPM, nothing wrong with that.

It's the 0-60 under five seconds. The fact is that by Lotus standards you are driving in a way that hands them all they need to claim abuse and void your drivetrain warranty. Argue with them, not me, there are plenty of threads here about this.

Back to how I drive the car, if 0-60 is the standard as to 'why I bought my car' there are a ton of cars out there, a lot less expensive, that are faster 0-60 (or even MORE telling 5-60) over and over again without slamming the drivetrain.:shift:

BTW, I think I get the 'point of the car,' I've owned 8 Lotus over the last 30 years.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I went back to the crime scene today and discovered: I had gone 1/4 mile from a dead stop to where he nailed me; there are no speed limit signs anywhere nearby.

I don't think I went 0-60 in 5 seconds. Maybe 15 or 30.

The lack of speed limit signs is relevant. Our conversation went

cop: do you know what the speed limit is on Francis Lewis Blvd.?
me: 40? 30?
cop: its 30, not 50 as set by state law. Do you know how fast you were going?
me: no
cop: 62. If you're going more than twice the speed limit your car can be confiscated. I'll just let you off with a warning. Daniel, slow down.

Its a major road and could readily have a speed limit of 50. But no, its 30. Live and learn. I thought that in NYS, the speed limit defaults to 55. From what the cop told me, it defaults to 50 but in NYC, it defaults to 30.

The cop was decent. He didn't even wait for me to produce the registration. I also wonder if he knew he had a weak case - didn't watch me speeding for 1/4 mile; the speed limit was not marked.

Regardless, I'm now back in city driving mode. Don't race the engine, stay under 40 mph. (It's a Lotus!)

Dan

He may be correct technically about the law's language about confiscating your car. If a first offender, not driving recklessly, no alchohol involved, what happened makes sense.

A little time 'net surfing will yield you the motor vehicle/moving violation laws and potential penalties for your state.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Boy, you're really jumping to conclusions about how I do or do not drive my car.
Hey, I just figured if you want to consider a hard launch abuse, you were not one that would do such things. People use 0-60, 1/4 miles itmes as a simple way to say, yea its fast.

From your reaction I see how much you like others telling you the way you drive is wrong, now do you see my point? ITs not abuse if thats the reason they bought the car and are willing to live with the side effects.

Is it abuse to drive the car you bought for track and autocross at track and autocross? Yes they may not cover it under warenty, but so what? Its still fun :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Passing

So I passed the unmarked vehicle and you have to go faster to pass someone, right?
Dan
Yep....
I was strolling along a back road near my house (Elkorn Road, Moss Landing, CA), It's got a few cool twisties in it. Miata in front of me started hot rodding around the corners, so I decided to pass him on the only straight on the road (double yellow). Not only did I pass him, I passed a GREEN Truck. It happened so quickly. :evil: The GREEN truck started to chase me. I thought it was an angry "Mountain Man". I took off 80-90mph through semi twistie road. Got up to a stop sign and he flipped his little RED LIGHT ON ME!!!!. I GOT PULLED OVER BY THE FISH AND GAME. :eek:

Funny thing is, when he got out of the Truck, he was shaking (in what appeared to be fear), and asked me if i had any guns.

EPIC FAIL!
I got a ticket for passing on a double yellow :sad:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Lol, I spent a weekend in Moss Landing (at the KOA) in my RV recently. :D The Elkhorn Slough tour is great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts