The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Anyone ready to argue that this is not a horrible embarrassment for humanity?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
one reason i moved... they cops are criminal, and the system built to empower them.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
It was a good read, I will never speed in Virginia!
Got pulled in Bowling Green, VA a few years ago in my first Elise. 55 in a 30. 20+ over is automatic charge of reckless driving, no option to pay fine, court date mandatory.

Like everyone else, I came up with a story that sounded perfectly plausible to me.

Court date came, as I sat there listening to person after person tell their stories, which no doubt sounded plausible to them when they practiced in front of a mirror, i saw the judge throw the book at each and every one. Huge fines, points, one guy got a month in jail (exceeding 100 mph...speed limit was irrelevant).

One guy claimed to work for Homeland Security and he had been on his way to work to 'protect the country.' Judge asked him if he was running with lights flashing, on his way to an emergency. Guy said no, he was on his way to work to 'protect the American people.'

Judge found him guilty, fined him $500, assigned a ton of points, and closed by saying "Let's see what THIS will do to your security clearance."

My turn, I pled guilty, fortunately I had a good record and I was the only person who dressed in a suit, judge reduced to 9 mph over. $60 fine, $30 court costs, no points.

Indeed, don't speed in VA.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My turn, I pled guilty, fortunately I had a good record and I was the only person who dressed in a suit, judge reduced to 9 mph over. $60 fine, $30 court costs, no points.
Similar experience about 15 years ago. Driving to Danville from Richmond caught going 77 in a 55 - reckless. BFE farming county.

Went to court and dressed appropriately. At least I thought I was until I walked in the 19th century courthouse and half the folks there were in denim overalls. The courthouse was so old, it could be a museum. The paintings in that place were well over 100 years old, even the new stuff was very old - really cool. Even the judge was old - white hair, long white beard.

When I was up, I plead guilty, apologized, noted driving record and asked for a reduction to regular speeding. Judge asked officer if I handled myself appropriately during the stop. I did and he confirmed. I was ordered to driving school and charge was dropped upon completion.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Va is bad I lived there and they ran road checks where they would stop all cars going through look for ways to write tickets. Real scum bags

·
shay2nak
25,128 Posts
I was in VA for work and yeah, I got 75 in 55 (on the freeway). Cop gave me 74. I had to hire a lawyer to get rid of it for me since I live in CA.

Basically don't go 20mph over the limit.

Any idea how painful it is to drive 60mph on the freeway when there's no traffic?

I hate VA.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Absolutely ridiculous. Yeah. I hate Virginia for this and other reasons and I live here. If I didn't despise what politics has become, I would run for governor; fire half the state troopers and change the reckless driving laws. This is run away government out of control. If I hit 80 on an Interstate with no traffic around and a car that is capable of going twice that speed, I am not endangering anyone. :mad:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was driving through Virginia on my way back to Rhode Island. I had been on the highway for quite some time, and most of the posted speeds had been in 65-70 mph range. I tried keeping my speeds less than 5 over the limit to avoid any tickets ( I wasn't in the lotus ). I was getting a little tired in missed the sign for the speed limit dropping from 70 to 55. I thought I was just staying with traffic, but the trooper thought otherwise.
What bothered me most was where he pulled me over. The shoulder was barely as wide as my SUV. I got as close to the jersey barrier as I could, and was barely out of the lane of traffic. I don't even know how he got out of his car. His door had to be in the lane of travel when he opened it.
I guess it was worth though seeing him climb the jersey barrier to get to the passenger side of my SUV. :)

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Yep.. Almost been there and done that. That is why no one sees me driving my car on the public roads around NoVA.

A few years back I got a reckless/speeding ticket because my muffler was too loud. Fairfax police stopped me and when I asked why I was stopped, he told me that he heard me going faster than the speed limit -eek- I asked him if he clocked me and he said he didn't need to.

It cost me $500 to lower the charges and some $800 in attorney fees.

After that I discovered NJMP and now I am officially a track junkie and I need help :facepalm

Do visit me at TrackJunkies.Org

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Calibrated ears. It must be nice to go through life with superhuman powers. :rolleyes:

·
Wow Such Admin
6,958 Posts
This is relevant although not in same location (worth the 15 min watch):

I think I read on the news somewhere that speed limits were bumped up a little in that area because of that video. Not sure how true that is. I think i read that on jalopnik.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Another incident with Fairfax County Police

A few years back, I was out of town and my wife got a speeding ticket. Fairfax County Police were pulling over lines of people near McLean police station and were issuing tickets. I got home that evening and she told me about it—she was very upset. I asked her to show me the ticket; when I saw it, I could not believe my eyes-eek-

The summons was issued to me! I know I am usually at fault no matter what when things come between my wife and I, but this one had crossed the line!

So I asked her, how the heck she managed it? Funny enough, she had not even realized the ticket was in my name until I pointed it out to her.

The next day, I called the police station and asked to speak to the officer who had issued the ticket. I told him that he issued a ticket to me and I was not even in town. How was that possible? I guess the car was registered under my name and he was too busy issuing tickets not realizing that. After chatting for a bit he said he would void the ticket and I should tell my wife that she was very lucky.

Honestly, if I had the time I would have loved to appear in court and see his face in front of the judge.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts