The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a quick jaunt in the yellow car, have some questions for the masses.

First thing I notice. The drivers door appears to be "Not right". Ever since we got the car the lock assembly felt kind of odd, as in, when you pull on the lever from the inside of the car it felt a little different than our other car. It was if it was a little soft or not wanting to disengage the lock. It wasnt too pronounced so I didnt think much of it.

Today while leaving the house I was passing the car in the garage and ran my hand over the door where it meets the body near the handle. Its not flush. In fact its about a quarter of an inch out of whack ( technical term). I figured, maybe its supposed to be that way since its a handmade car? Nope....the passenger door is flush. Additionally both the doors on our orange car are flush too. Tonight I went to get out of the car and the door didnt want to open. It was as if I was pulling the chrome handle on the inside and it wasnt quite disengaging. Any ideas on Door Adjustment?

Also while Im here asking questions. Tonight my shift light started malfunctioning. I know this is common with some other people but this is my first time experiencing it.

I was sitting at a stop sign and the light flickered, then it stayed on solid, then it flickered almost solidly for about a minute. It finally went off, but then came back on again while driving at 3,000 rpm. I know there are threads about this, but I may as well ask here. Whats the fix for this?

Also, Im hearing odd "clicking/rattle" noises from inside the engine compartment. It sounds like its coming from behind the passenger seat area. Its very distinct and Ive never heard it before. I'd compare it to the sound of a fuel pump cutting on and off...but louder and more pronounced and with a little rattle thrown in.

I also have moisture in my lights up front. Anyone else have this?

Yes, I know its best to ask my dealer but my dealer is 7 hours away. So I'll ask here first. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
If the door is flush it tends to make wind noise, so most cars have doors that stick out a little. That's how my 911 was and that's how the new lotus is, but both side should be the same, so maybe something ain't right

Just about every single person on the forum, including myself, had the upshift light stop flickering after the after sales service. How many miles do you have?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the passenger door is relatively flush as are both doors on the Chrome Orange car. :shrug:

The Chrome Orange car's shift light has never flickered.

I have 1,700 miles on the SY car. 1,000 of which are to and from the dealership. It had its first service at 1300 miles or about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
the rattle from behind the passenger seat has been experienced by others on the board.
try searching for the threads
sorry, i'm too sleepy to look right now...

:eek:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It's possible the rattle is the emergency trunk release handle rattling against the trunk lid. Not sure what the clunking noise would be.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Another source of rattle is the large plastic electrical connector next to the battery. Lotus wraps it in foam rubber, but one end of mine became exposed and started rattling against the fiberglass. I wrapped it back up and put some tape around it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was wondering if you ever found a procedure to adjust the door? My passenger side door has suddenly become way out of alignment / sticks out about 3/8". The push button door handle is very soft, as if the door is barely catching the pin when closed.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just wanted to post a follow up. I looked at the door, and discovered that the existing "pin" was actually quite loose. I tightened it back up, and now the door closes properly, doesn't stick out, and no more rattle!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hmm i'll have to look at mine, but i know my Drivers side door isn't even, almost exactly as you described yours. About 1/4 inch off, and not flush. Passenger side looks fine. I'll check this pin you speak of out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just wanted to post a follow up. I looked at the door, and discovered that the existing "pin" was actually quite loose. I tightened it back up, and now the door closes properly, doesn't stick out, and no more rattle!
imoz - what is the "pin" that you mention?

·
Registered
204 Posts
RoadDad - that part number actually helped! Thanks - I used it at lotusgarage.com to find exactly what was being referenced. :)

Both my doors are slightly out of alignment i.e. they do not close flush.

They both extend out about 1/8 inch when closed - definitely not flush!

Any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
If your striker pin is not loose or out of position then you may just need to reposition the door at the hinge. Roll the window down completely. Open the door. Loosen the bolts holding the hinge to the body. Wrap your arm around the door and position it where it needs to be. Tighten the bolts while holding the door in place. Test shut the door. Readjust as needed for happy motoring.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
This thread will be 5 years old in 5 months.

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
If your striker pin is not loose or out of position then you may just need to reposition the door at the hinge. Roll the window down completely. Open the door. Loosen the bolts holding the hinge to the body. Wrap your arm around the door and position it where it needs to be. Tighten the bolts while holding the door in place. Test shut the door. Readjust as needed for happy motoring.
yes, but:

Mark the position of door/hinge/body & pin before moving anything

loosen the hinge to body connection, not hinge/door

do not fully loosen, leave enough friction so you can just move the door.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts