The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2000 Esprit TT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger door is rubbing on the front fender and I don't want to hurt the paint. How can you adjust the door so it doesn't rub?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am having the same issue on my driver's door. Didn't have it when I first bought it. Seems the metal strap needs to be adjusted or stretched. Passenger side is great. Driver's side opens wider.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
There are a couple of ways of adjusting the doors, none of which are much fun. There are three steps, First off check your hinge bushings are not worn, don’t think that it’s got low miles so how can the door hinges be worn, they were not the most sturdy of nylon hinge bushings in the first place, and the wear comes from the constant opening and closing when detailing the interior of the car rotfl , if they are ok you are in for some frustrating times and would like to talk to the engineer that designed this part of the esprit :thwack:. The door itself is attached to the crash beam which is part of the hinge, there ‘may’ be a little movement achieved by moving the door shell on the beam. Start by removing the inner door panel, loosening the mounting bolts/nuts and pulling the door back, this includes loosening the window frame nuts (note: this typically will not work as it’s a small amount of movement so only try this if you need a mm or two!) The correct way is to pull the inner ‘A’ pillar cover and peel back the lower foot well carpet. This will give you access to the upper and lower nuts that hold the door to the body. You should first support the weight of the door with a floor jack and a block of wood wrapped in a soft cloth to protect the paint, DO NOT place the jack under the outer lip of the door, use the inner lip. Carefully loosen the two bolts just enough that you can pull the door back the hair that you need, tighten and try the clearance, Repeat if necessary. Once you have the clearance at the front correct you will also need to adjust the striker plate on the 'B' post at the rear. If your shut lines are out then you can add or remove shims, your picture appears to show that it’s the hinge adjustment. Manual page attached is from a 93 but it’s essentially the same.
Colin

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thanks! Will check it out when I get home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts