The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am refurbishing a 2006 NA Exige, Solar Yellow. I just had to post this as a tribute to the good people who put these cars together (isn't this just pretty?). I am always in awe as I take them apart and rebuild them of the personal fingerprints and care that went into the original build. I had the privilege of visiting the Hethel factory at the time that the Tesla Roadster was on one of the lines. Much respect y'all!

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
816 Posts
I was explaining to my wife today why it is always a voyage of discovery to take something apart on my Elise. All the other cars I've ever owned were built in large numbers on a traditional assembly line - robotic welders, lots of assistive technology, and the line pulls the car along to each station, where the same people do the same thing all day long.

Not so the Elise. Assemblers push the car around between stations and components all have signatures and acceptance dates on them - one could compile a fairly long list of people just reading all the magic marker and inspection tag signatures on bits and pieces. Then there's the blue and pink paint... Is it better that the car has signatures and dates all over its insides? Objectively probably not. But it certainly makes the car a lot more personal than any other I've ever owned.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have to echo these sentiments on two fronts. First as you all have noted, Secondly, I recently picked up a Touring CO 05 Elise with 12,000 miles from new. I am adjusting suspension and making slight changes to run SCCA autocross in street. Fascinated at pulling apart stuff and seeing the human touch inside. Nice to see 15 year old "new" parts due to low useage.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This stuff is always so fascinating. I love seeing how they put these cars together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts