The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a problem with our driver side door :(

A stupid biker ran in the (opened) door, bending it down a little bit. Since this "accident" the driver side door, scratches over the sillboard (hope this is the right word) before it snaps in. All in all, it seems like the door is too low a few millimeters.

First I thought this problem can be solved by adjusting the door, but after a closer look, it doesn't look like the door is shifted. It rather looks like, the door hinge itself has too much tolerance.

You can move the driver side door up one or two millimeters without any effort, while the passanger side door seems to be tight.

So I have a few questions.

Has anyone here had the same problems ?

Does the door hinge have any kind of bushings which could have been damaged ?

What is the easiest/best way to solve this problem ? Adjust the door a bit higher ? Or exchange the whole door hinge ?

To me it looks like, exchanging the whole door hinge is a whole lot of work :wallbang:

·
Registered
3 Posts
These sagging doors can be fixed by replacing the hinge pins and bushings. Take note that "sagging doors" are not just a nuisance, they can actually cause severe damages. Check this link, bodyshopzone.com/archives/mechanical/door/hinge/pin_replace_1.html

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
See attached excerpt from the service manual, as you can see there are bushings that could have been damaged but I'm not sure how to replace them. :(

These sagging doors can be fixed by replacing the hinge pins and bushings. Take note that "sagging doors" are not just a nuisance, they can actually cause severe damages. Check this link, bodyshopzone.com/archives/mechanical/door/hinge/pin_replace_1.html

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts