The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed about a month ago that my passenger door isn't aligned correctly anymore. It makes a painful sound when closing and touches the body leaving a white mark on the panel with the side reflector on it. Anyone else experience this?

My car is under the factory extended warranty (it's a 2005) so I'm wondering if this is something that's covered. Most importantly I want to know what caused this to happen. Can this even be fixed and will it happen again? I haven't been in an accident or had any body work done for almost 2 years now. My doors have never come off either.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
It is pretty common and just needs an adjustment for the door or the front clam.

Probably more likely from a front clam coming off than the door. But it can happen from a slight movement over time. The clearance on the front edge of the door is very small. Be careful to make this worse until it gets adjusted.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
lol

I type too fast or I think too slow.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had mine adjusted under warranty last year, but the warranty is up now, and I just noticed this happening again. What do they usually charge to align it? I think someone at the dealership told me they charge like $170 per hour of labor, so I'm hesitant to take it in.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Any half-decent mechanic can align the door. There are 4 bolts holding the hinge to the body and, once these are loosened, the door can be moved in/out & up/down. There may be some adjustment in the hinge attachment to the door too, but I can't remember.

The latch mounting on the body can be moved as well, but this is not typically the problem when the door fouls the frt fender.

If trying this yourself, mark the original positions clearly so you have a benchmark.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Any half-decent mechanic can align the door. There are 4 bolts holding the hinge to the body and, once these are loosened, the door can be moved in/out & up/down. There may be some adjustment in the hinge attachment to the door too, but I can't remember.

The latch mounting on the body can be moved as well, but this is not typically the problem when the door fouls the frt fender.

If trying this yourself, mark the original positions clearly so you have a benchmark.
Yep. The problem is that it is a pain to access those bolts unless you have a good tool set.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The right door insert rubs ever so slighty on the sill, but it's incredibly annoying and I hate not having it perfect. I'm the type that will spend hours hunting down ever rattle. The left door is perfect, however. If I apply a slight upward pressure on the right door this problem goes away and appears to provide a better seal. Does the door allow for this sort of adjustment? (maybe 1mm up)

Edit: It looks like a search answered my question. Remove 2 of the bolts and tilt the door up slighty with trial and error until It's where I want it to be. Unless someone has any words of wisdom for me?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Brennon, I have to work from memory and it's been a while and I don't have an Elise anymore. But if you open the door and look at the hinge there, you can see the bolts. The issue is access. You need the right set of sockets, wrenches to make it work. What you want to do is loosen them up a little and then retighten them with the door pulled up ever so slightly.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Brennon, I have to work from memory and it's been a while and I don't have an Elise anymore. But if you open the door and look at the hinge there, you can see the bolts. The issue is access. You need the right set of sockets, wrenches to make it work. What you want to do is loosen them up a little and then retighten them with the door pulled up ever so slightly.
I'm just being lazy and hoping it'd be something along the lines of a specific brand of wrench that is needed for clearance. I like things that are dummy proof. :D I'll swing by the hardware store and see what I can find. From looking at it last night, I don't believe my current wrenches will work.

·
Registered
974 Posts
My passenger side door was rubbing ever so slightly on the door sill. I had the dealer adjust it and it was covered under warranty.

The way in which it was adjusted was a little scary. First the tech opened the door and cupped both arms under the end of the door. Then he pulled up on the door really hard a few times. :crazyeyes

This did not solve the problem so then he loosened the hinge bolts with the door open. then he did the same thing again. -eek-

i could have sworn he used a box wrench. he wasn't very careful and nicked the work of art hinge ever so slightly.

at least I haven't had the issue recur.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My passenger side door was rubbing ever so slightly on the door sill. I had the dealer adjust it and it was covered under warranty.

The way in which it was adjusted was a little scary. First the tech opened the door and cupped both arms under the end of the door. Then he pulled up on the door really hard a few times. :crazyeyes

This did not solve the problem so then he loosened the hinge bolts with the door open. then he did the same thing again. -eek-

i could have sworn he used a box wrench. he wasn't very careful and nicked the work of art hinge ever so slightly.

at least I haven't had the issue recur.
Yeah the 9-5 monday - friday at my local dealership is a bit rough considering I'm working those hours. Taking a day off work is a bit much. I'm a little hesitant with the 'grab and tug' method though. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yup!

Got it fixed under warranty by Newport European.:clap:

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Jic it hasn't been covered, you want to:

Mark the bolts and especially the piece on the door jamb for latch.

loosen the hinge bolts very little, so the door doesn't drop down and use up all the travel. Then, yes, tug on the door.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Before you spend time to adjust this lift up on the door while its open to make sure that the hinges haven't worn out. If you feel some play in the door while lifting it replace the hinge bushings and leave the hinge adjustment alone.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Before you spend time to adjust this lift up on the door while its open to make sure that the hinges haven't worn out. If you feel some play in the door while lifting it replace the hinge bushings and leave the hinge adjustment alone.
good point (& I did that too), but have you actually seen any of these bushing wear out?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It's an 07 with around 14k miles. Would they really be worn out that soon? :shrug: The right door has slightly more play in it than the left, but both seem to have at least a little without me really yankin' on the thing.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up getting it fixed at work. Everything's been fine since.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts