The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace my door handles. I found a few links on the forums here about using some window back silicon stuff but its came off twice now. When the handle comes off I can see I made a nice surface bound but it is not holding. Plus it's very flexible, the stuff that was on there was rock hard.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
I used 3M double sided tape.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, that strong thin stuff?

·
Registered
715 Posts
See here:

I just did this recently so not yet sure of durability, but guaranteed to remove easier!

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
I used 3mm double sided tape and they have not come off after about 8 months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I mimic the others in here, just used some Scotch double sided outdoor tape and it works out great, no issues here and I did mine a month ago.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Tape was simple, no mess and theoretically easy to remove when/if needed. At least you have options...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what I used for my CF handles. Wanted to be 100 percent permanent and not have to mess with tape. I highly recommend (and so would the tiger king).

U-Pol Products 0727 Black Tiger Seal Adhesive/Sealant - 310ml Cartridge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SQY852/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PkyyFbE6HR9EX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah so this is the stuff I used now twice, it makes a good bound to the car. The issues are 1) its rubbery when cured, 2) it does not bound to the new plastic cup. I still have some if anyone can tell me how it should be used. I apply it, push down the cup, and wait 2 days before use. Came off twice now (two applications). Each time I removed all the excess.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yeah so this is the stuff I used now twice, it makes a good bound to the car. The issues are 1) its rubbery when cured, 2) it does not bound to the new plastic cup. I still have some if anyone can tell me how it should be used. I apply it, push down the cup, and wait 2 days before use. Came off twice now (two applications). Each time I removed all the excess.
Maybe my experience was different because I was bonding mine to carbon fiber? Maybe stay away from this stuff if using on plastic? Sorry guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
28 Posts
That may be the issue... I guess ill find tape. You guys use this stuff?
Yep, I used this one since that's what the store had:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Outdoor-Mounting-60-inches-411P/dp/B0083K36KA/

But they look to be basically the same thing. When I did mine, I cut the strip in half (long way), since it's a little wide right out of the roll. So you technically get more for your money!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks like they used black weatherstrip adhesive originally.

3M VHB tape is some amazing stuff. They put 18 wheeler trailers together with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is what I used. Great stuff.

·
Administrator
1,510 Posts
Scuff the plastic part to provide tooth if applying adhesive if using tape you shouldn't have to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts