The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, this is a nasty little project.

How much of the old material do you need to remove, before you can install the new pulls?

I know this looks terrible, but the new pulls will cover this whole area. I'm just not sure how much more of the black rubbery stuff I can remove.

Also, the little black plastic screw at the leading edge of the door card, I tried to removed it and the head came off :(

Any suggestions for how to get it out?
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Grille Automotive lighting Car Hood Vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Grille

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agreed, I cleaned it all out too. You definitely want to remove enough that there isn't any residual thickness left on the painted surface. It doesn't need to be perfectly clean paint, but you don't want the old adhesive adding thickness under the new door pull.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
1,399 Posts
A razor and some willpower, I used double sided adhesive and have been holding with no issues for 2+ years. I cleaned the area and then sprayed some alcohol on it and then a while later applied the adhesive.

·
Registered
'05 Elise Chrome Orange
155 Posts
Keep going at it. Like others said, a razor blade works. Also might have some luck with a heat gun/hair dryer to soften it up, and then maybe using your thumb you can even roll/rub it off. But be careful not to get a raw thumb!

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
Use plastic razor blades and xylene. Remove all previous adhesive.

·
Premium Member
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,887 Posts
Good god that's ugly! Glad mine are still in good shape! As far as the the plastic screw goes....screwdriver. Just pry it out. It's basically the same as the screws for the wheel arch's. I had the same problem when I was removing my door cards for the new mirror install. Just popped it out with a screwdriver. Still need to order a replacement for me passenger side. But it's all plastic. Nothing to fear.

·
Premium Member
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,887 Posts
And when you gonna join one of my Paalooza runs, son? Is it me breath? Maybe my cologne is too strong? Been waiting to meet you man....just saying! LOL!

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Use plastic razor blades and xylene. Remove all previous adhesive.
Xylene?

Edit: googled it.

"Xylene (C8H10) is a colorless, flammable liquid with a sweet odor. Exposure to xylene can irritate the eyes, nose, skin, and throat. Xylene can also cause headaches, dizziness, confusion, loss of muscle coordination, and in high doses, death. Workers may be harmed from exposure to xylene."

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Lotus, man...the front turn signals will fly out and dangle by the wires while driving down the highway, the speaker grills fly off if you hit a bump, the shift knob will break off in your hand, the airbag cover scratches if you look at it wrong...

But the $6 plastic door pull is bonded to the car with the same stuff NASA used to secure the ablative heat shield tiles to the space shuttle...

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
Available at the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot. I had Rapid Remover for adhesive removal when I removed my PPF and the xyxele worked better with plastic razor blades due to it being a little oily.

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts