The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I received some more of my carbon fiber upgrade parts from RLS yesterday.

The door panels went in quickly, and today was the door sills.

I have first of the old sills removed and now I have some questions.

First - the new CF sills do not have a screw in the back, like my original panels - do you try and drill a hole in the new CF panel, or just rely on tape to hold it all down?

second - on the bottom of the original, there is a molded foam piece that is glued there - does this need to be removed, and do I need to try to reattach it to the new CF sill?

third - mounting - I did a test fit - as I push down on the new sill it is not tight against the underlying frame - do I need to use a bunch of mounting tape to try and get it to not have any "bounce" to it as I push down? The original had some molded "ridges" but new one should be OK just sitting against underlying frame/panel right?

I have some double sided Scotch mounting tape from a project on my Avalanche - is this what you would recommend? it is a bear to get off if you need to redo it if I remember from my Avalanche.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Door sill progress

Well, I have the first side installed.

Went ahead and solved some of the issues as best I could

I did not drill the screw hole in back - I am going to see how tape holds for now I guess

To eliminate the bounce I took a suggestion by Thomas at RLS and used poster board so that I had more contact between the piece and the car. I am including pictures of my layout - I needed two pieces to get it to fit about right.

I had two fit issues in the end - the first minor issue is the end of the door sill hits the hatch release guard ( picture )

The second is that since the new door sill is wider I have a gap on the inside edge, where the OEM piece was flush. Obviously a smaller gap would have been better here.

taking a break for dinner and then going to tackle the other side after that

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
I didn't install carbon fiber, but didn't like the play in my stock sills, so I used a layer of Dynamat like material cut to shape under the sill when I reinstalled them. I extended it over the edges, so like your posterboard it takes up some of the slop. But as an added bonus, it also reflects some of the heat from the coolant hoses. Also made the sills fit super snug and eliminated the creaks from the sills.

Corvus

·
Registered
605 Posts
When I installed my CF sills I firstly placed a layer of cling film generously over the sill. I then injected self expanding urethane foam from a can into the space and seated the sill . It does expand a lot so don't use too much. Any excess self extrudes . Let it set for a couple of hours the lift the sill and remove the cling film and any excess. Weighs virtually nothing and works really well.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I saw a local LTer who's CF door sills cracked from getting in and out... so I guess make sure there's no bounce.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts