The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I found a very good supplier of door sills. For me they made a set for my Esprit S4 Sport using the proper logo. They have a wide range of sills for all cars and an impressive amount of sills available for various Esprit models. Fair price and shipping and excellent to deal with. I have no links with this company and hope this post is allowed as I suspect there are many out there looking for this info as I was.

UNQShop - best car body kits

Attached are the actual images of the sills I ordered and mounted on my S4 Sport.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought mine last year from the same guy for around 80$ shipped to Montreal, Quebec.
It came after 3 days which I think was super fast. I loved it and I think it's way better and way cheaper than the oem one IMO. But paying 60$ for just a shipping to US is way high...maybe one of you can organize a group buy...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I have been travelling extensively and off line for a spell.
I paid 39 Pounds UK for shipping to Canada and 39 Pounds for the sills. Total is $128 US and I believe that is a bargain. Don't think just shipping, think total price.
This is the person I dealt with...
Dias Duval [email protected]
Ron

·
Registered
480 Posts
Shipping from England is totally screwed Tom.... I am waiting on parts from SJ, shipping was over $500.... (engine cover and front spoiler) you can get a container for about 2k.

Anything over length is a ticket to steal.... tried to ship a couple of fiberglass elite bumpers a while back, fed ex wanted over $600 to ship them, like 40 pounds total weight for both.

Brian

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yeah, it is usually a bummer to ship from England to the U.S. But I am struck by the variation in pricing. I have bought stuff from private vendors, e.g., eBay UK, and found them to be often pretty reasonable. By that I mean sending those sill dress plates for example, for say 20 BP, seems reasonable. To charge $60 seems fishy to me - sort of like the eBay folks who have give-away prices on items but charge you $30 "shipping and handling" for something that costs $15 and then the item shows up at your house in a USPS mailer that you can get at any Office Depot for $7. I recently bought some posters which were shipped in stiff cardboard tubes from the UK. These tubes would have easily accommodated a set of sill plates and I think the shipping was around $18. Sill plates aren't heavy, just long.

As far as sill protectors go, I just went with black generics when I renovated my '89 - which I got here in the old U.S.A. I did some trimming and they look just fine. I actually prefer them to the previous metal ones I installed when I first bought my car. The metal quickly dinged and scratched - the vinyl are rugged, don't show much wear, and clean up easily. I drive my car a lot, near daily, so the sills get a fair amount of ingress and egress traffic. I've attached a picture (they are from Auto Ventshade). I trimmed off the return, which was simple to do with a sharp blade and a straight edge and installed them in my Esprit.

If you think about it, if someone knows this business I wonder if you could get these metal plates fabricated here in the U.S. in a bulk order of say 100 pairs or so and get them for a quite reasonable cost. As suggested - a group buy. I have done this with some Lotus special tools and the group idea has always worked out rather well.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Their office is UK, but they are shipping from, or in that region of Europe. The package is large and not cubed and international shipping is not cheap.

Regardless, I am surprised to read the focus is on the shipping cost vs the total cost. All the goods one buys locally has shipping costs built in to the price and if you can see the cost for shipping separately on all goods....this purchase shows separately. Maybe they make money on the shipping as most most sellers do, all retailers add margin to their cost including the shipping cost. It is called landing cost vs net or purchase price.

If you are looking for a quality product that you cannot purchase anywhere else, I believe the total price and the quality of the product to be real value. In the case of the S4 Sport logo, this is the only supplier I could find!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.