The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Need A Door Tear Drop Removal Technique - Help

I'm trying to remove the tear drops from my door panels. I know they are supposed to "slide", but it seems like it requires a lot of force to do it.

What is the best technique to slide them off?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hmm, something doesn't sound right. The only part that slides is the door panel itself, and its more like "hooks on" the front moreso than sliding anything. The tear drop piece should just come right off with a light pull. For me, it was only held on by the manual window crank screw.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine had velcro behind it. It was that and the exposed fasteners at the top. Took out the allen headed stainless bolts and pulled.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine are held on by 5 "christmas tree" fasteners. I thought you could "slide" the tear drop off of the christmas tree fasteners without having to pull them out of the door panel.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The charm of Lotus - parts attached with different materials. For what its worth, my door panels were attached with 2 different bonding materials between the driver and passenger's side...hah. I've never seen the Christmas tree fasteners used for that piece. I wish I could help.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I took off the screws around the top and the screw on the outer edge near the door handle. It was velcroed along the bottom edge

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took off the screws around the top and the screw on the outer edge near the door handle. It was velcroed along the bottom edge
That's exactly how the door panel comes off of the car. I'm trying to remove the tear drop insert from the door panel.

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
That's exactly how the door panel comes off of the car. I'm trying to remove the tear drop insert from the door panel.
remove the door panel first, then get a screwdriver under the tear drop. they really do just pull out. it's a pain in the A** to get back in though. I recommend you fold the little Christmas tree "teeth" back again before trying to re install them. It takes a while to get them all out and it is possible to break them if you're not careful. :wallbang:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
remove the door panel first, then get a screwdriver under the tear drop. they really do just pull out. it's a pain in the A** to get back in though. I recommend you fold the little Christmas tree "teeth" back again before trying to re install them. It takes a while to get them all out and it is possible to break them if you're not careful. :wallbang:
Thanks - I'll be careful. :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
There is one small plastic hidden screw in the lower front corner. Remove it and you should be good

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
There is one small plastic hidden screw in the lower front corner. Remove it and you should be good
*Note, this screw is not in the tear drop, this is on the actual door card right at the corner (the corner that points to the pedal box)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did I screw up the convention of the interior door pieces?

To me there is the door panel (large piece that covers the door) and the tear drop (the tear drop shaped piece attached to the door panel).

There have been a number of responses talking about removing the "door panel". I need to remove the "tear drop" from the "door panel".

Thank you - that is all... :CB:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I just recall removing a plastic screw get to the window regulators. Removing the window buttons was needed. Hope this helps, if not sorry! Im not sure if that will help remove the teardrop from the main panel. Your convention is correct. My bad

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
Yeah, not sure why everyone here keeps telling him how to remove the door panel. Pretty sure he has it off already.

Can you not see how its held on with the door panel off?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The tear drops are being held on with "christmas tree" fasteners. I thought I had seen someone else slide the tear drop panel off of the christmas tree fasteners without pulling them out of the door panel.

I tried sliding the tear drops - it didn't work, so I just pulled them off of the door panels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts