The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passenger door wont open form the inside. I thought the linkage had become disconnected but when i pull the handle i can see the little white polymer flipper lift but not high enough to release the catch. When i press the exterior button the flipper lifts much higher and releases the catch as normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is your key slot horizontal? I had a similar problem when a valet parked my car. He used the key to unlock instead of the fob. I was in a panic out of town but googled around and found out if the key is vertical it creates a similar situation to what your describing. Hopefully it's not broke...

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
+1

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't agree with the door being locked from the outside, however check that first.. Otherwise get ready to take your door apart. Its fairly easy, I already had the plastic bit that holds the lever in place snap on mine. I ordered up a few replacements and it took maybe an hour or so for the repair. When you pull on the handle, if it feels too easy when it moves that bit probably broke, compare to your passenger side. Otherwise I have no clue what it would be.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I played with the key some locking and unlocking and i cant seem to figure it out. i can see the flipper that engage the piece that cams over the lug on the catch lift up when i pull the inside handle just not enough to release. When i press the button on the outside i see the same movement out with further travel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't agree with the door being locked from the outside, however check that first.. Otherwise get ready to take your door apart. Its fairly easy, I already had the plastic bit that holds the lever in place snap on mine. I ordered up a few replacements and it took maybe an hour or so for the repair. When you pull on the handle, if it feels too easy when it moves that bit probably broke, compare to your passenger side. Otherwise I have no clue what it would be.
Is there a part number for that?

I had this happen to me today. I have a job interview tomorrow...as I sat there trying to figure out what to do, I had visions of crawling out of the passenger side in my Sunday best.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
roll the window down so you can reach out and open it from the outside - might be hard with our seating positions though..Might get you thru the day..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
Dan: Haven't heard from you since last November........are you still stuck IN your car ???????????????????????????????

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Dan: Haven't heard from you since last November........are you still stuck IN your car ???????????????????????????????
if he was... i hope he had one of our cup holders!!! Otherwise... he is really thirsty by now...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Is your key slot horizontal? I had a similar problem when a valet parked my car. He used the key to unlock instead of the fob. I was in a panic out of town but googled around and found out if the key is vertical it creates a similar situation to what your describing. Hopefully it's not broke...
Actually if you lock the door with the key on the outside door button, you can still open the door with the handle on the inside. So that couldn't be the problem, his inside door latch mech is broken.

:UK:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually ended up loosening the hinges and lifting the door then reasing the door striker just a bit. then after the door was realigned i opened up the door and made the 2 bents in the pull rod that connects to to handle a little more extream and it works prefect now.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
^nice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts