The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
If I've got this right, Lotus has the exemption until January 1, 2007.

·
Registered
156 Posts
In accordance with 49 U.S.C.30113(b)(3)(B)(i), Lotus is granted NHTSA Temporary Exemption No. EX 03-4, from Paragraph S.7 of 49 CFR 571.208, Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment[;/b] and 49 CFR part 581 Bumper Standard. The exemption shall remain in effect until January 1, 2007.

Does this mean no ugly reflectors? Or are we not this lucky?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reflectors are a Federal requirement that LOTUS will have to comply with to get the Elise into the US, but some states do not require them. The LOTUS dealer in Houston informed me that the reflectors are not required in Texas, so they could be removed here.

Once you have seen an Elise with the reflectors, I do not think you will object to them. They may also be capable of being wired for use as turn signals.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Houtx22 said:

Once you have seen an Elise with the reflectors, I do not think you will object to them. They may also be capable of being wired for use as turn signals.
The fronts at least are wired w/ LED's for turn signals.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow, this is really great! I was starting to get nervous about this exemption affecting the initial and subsequent delivery dates.

Hooray! Now we *truly* have a U.S. legal Elise!

Steve

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Im going crazy! I cannot find where its exempt until 2007?

nvm, I just read the pdf version too.
So if no one responds with information where exactly to look does that mean you would actually make the full transformation into crazy:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Im going crazy! I cannot find where its exempt until 2007?

nvm, I just read the pdf version too.
Look on page three of the pdf, top left corner of the page, third paragraph down...

Woohoo!

One less hurdle to worry about. :D

-Knute

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Derek said:
So if no one responds with information where exactly to look does that mean you would actually make the full transformation into crazy:)

Well, since I found the reference 10 seconds after I posted and edited my original post 15 seconds later saying ..... "NVM I JUST READ THE PDF VERSION" ...I guess not. :cool:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Don't get too excited. The Lotus folks in LA told me that they would not start production on the US cars until March!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Sorry to say, but production has already started on the US cars. My info mostley comes from a good friend of mine down under in OZ who has worked for Lotus since 1987. His info has been spot on all this past year to year and a half since I've been talking to him about the Federal Elise. If it wasn't for him I probably never would have put a deposit down on an Elise.

Regards,
Mitch

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Sorry to say, but production has already started on the US cars. My info mostley comes from a good friend of mine down under in OZ who has worked for Lotus since 1987. His info has been spot on all this past year to year and a half since I've been talking to him about the Federal Elise. If it wasn't for him I probably never would have put a deposit down on an Elise.

Regards,
Mitch
Maybe your friend was referring to 100 111R's at Hethel. That would make more sense- even though I really want him to be right!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Considering they still had not finalized the interior on the Fed car at the LA Auto Show how could they have 100 finished Fed cars already?. So when did they finalize the interior spec? Add a couple months to that date for the Lotus parts suppliers to fill the supply pipe. Plus our cars are supposed to be built on the Speedster line.

My guess is that those 100 cars are probably 111Rs.

Now that the waivers are in place, Lotus USA may get more communicative. They have been oh so quiet since the LA show. Hopefully my dealer gets some info from LCU, cuz I'm getting anxious!!! :D

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
So much I hear production on the Fed car started in January after the LA show. Production for the ver first 111R's started before Christmas and 5 of those were delivered 3rd week of January in OZ.

As fare as the Federal car goes, I hear production is well under way. Why don't we get one of our Brit friends to go to the factory and have a look. I am certain we all would want to know this.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

1 - 20 of 30 Posts