The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to ask this ever since press reviews of the 992 GT3 came out. Most reviewers were so excited about that aspect and even Porsche's own press material made sure to highlight it.

Why did it take Porsche so long to realize that they needed a double wishbone suspension in the front while the Evora has always had that setup. Or the other way to ask this question is, what stopped them until the 992?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Reactions: brgelise

·
Premium Member
7,174 Posts
A German NEVER admits inferiority to ANYTHING. Sorry, but I have studied a fair amount of European history. Sad truth is, they lost 2 wars but the feelings of superiority never went away. I see it in BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and yes, Porsche.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Yet they happily roll out a problematic center lock wheel nut system. Poorly developed water cooled 996 engine.

Wondered if it infringed on frunk space? Did the 959 have double A front sus?

·
Registered
1998 Elise Duratec, 2009 Exige S240 (+TVS1320 / CC)
898 Posts
Porsche have this fantastic PR machine...and the press & fan boyz just lap it up, so it gets amplified. Just like politics, keep repeating the same message again & again, it must be true.... isn't it ? .... Isn't it ....?

Double wishbone front suspension instead of 'budget' struts is just catching-up with what other sports cars have been doing for a long time. But it's a great new angle for the PR machine.

Also it drowns-out -VE's like GT3 engines going pop from the 991.1 ... some have had multi replacements - but who's counting. Or current 718 GT4 / GTS 4.0 engine recalls ... never mind the bearing failure / bore score with the early water cooled flat sixes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Porsche is really a very conservative company in their engineering. They only move from a technology after exhausting the very last bits of improvements. They were using rear semi-trailing arms until the mid 90´s! The 959 did use wishbones in all 4 corners.

·
Premium Member
7,174 Posts
God forbid they get a 21st century design expert for a clean sheet model.....I have hated the 911 look since i was a child. getting better but.....ZERO creativity.

IMS is a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
IIRC they intended the 928 to become their flagship, with 924 and 944 but the customers revolted. That is why the Boxter/Cayman has been less than despite the superior layout

One can only blame them for so much

·
Registered
151 Posts
Press fit glued in coolant hoses posing hazard for the rest of us when they pop off . . . . Nothing wrong here - look away.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
re: all the trashing of Porsche or the 911:

Most profitable car company in the world by far.
18 overall wins at Le Mans
50+ Class wins at Le Mans
911 platform the most successful racing car platform of all time including winning the 6 hours of Spa this weekend.

Lotus and Porsche are much more alike that people want to believe. Lotus just focused on F1 after a bad experience at Le Mans. Porsche focused on endurance racing. The cars reflect that philosophy imo.

Full disclosure - I own a GT3, a 911 C4S, and an Esprit.

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
Well, when they went head to head with the Esprit it kicked their asses, and in the end politics resulted in Porsche running larger tires and the Esprit carrying extra weight.

Porsche also started racing Le Mans in mid engine cars in 196?

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,873 Posts
re: all the trashing of Porsche or the 911:

Most profitable car company in the world by far.
18 overall wins at Le Mans
50+ Class wins at Le Mans
911 platform the most successful racing car platform of all time including winning the 6 hours of Spa this weekend.

Lotus and Porsche are much more alike that people want to believe. Lotus just focused on F1 after a bad experience at Le Mans. Porsche focused on endurance racing. The cars reflect that philosophy imo.

Full disclosure - I own a GT3, a 911 C4S, and an Esprit.
With nearly 60 years of constant 911 production, I certainly hope that it is the most successful car platform because they have had plenty of time/opportunity haha!

Also, the newest racing 911's are mid-engined to stay competitive now, so they don't exactly represent the road going cars anymore.

I mostly kid, but I just have never been able to fall in love with the 911's. They don't seem to have any passion in the design, sense of humor, or a sense of occasion. To be fair, the only Porsche's that do anything for me are the GT4's and CGT's...

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
900 Posts
One other thing I'd note that nobody has: Dual wishbone suspension takes up a lot of space. An Elige would have room for a functional, if small, boot/trunk in front if it used strut suspension up front. My X 1/9 had a cavern up there, which made it a quite acceptable GT car despite being 150" long and 45" tall. Now I realize it's not the ultimate performance solution, but the fact is that the vast majority of Porsches sold are driven on the street and are expected to have some street car functionality...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ever since I was a kid my favorite Porsche has been the 904. I look at it today and I see an Elise/Exige. No matter what the badge is on the nose, the shape is intoxicating.

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
I think the radiator in the Elise eats up 'frunk' space. Also poor packaging of the HVAC, there is quite a well there and plenty of space in front of and over the passengers feet

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,714 Posts
Same reason Porsche is still using a chassis design that predates WWII.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts