The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Never bother to listen to him anymore.. Basically, just another annoying You Tuber. There are a few with a clue, but not him.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I enjoy his reviews but am not expecting the sort of info I would use in making a purchase decision.

He should have said something to the effect that this car’s virtues are hardly apparent driving around in traffic. In fact, this car can entertain the most skilled drivers amongst us when being driven in a very sporting way.

He was kind not to say that it looks like odds and ends put together in the dark. Just no continuity from stem to stern.

But we hold our breath. I still carry hope that a true Lotus offering will happen in the not too distant future. 3 years? I’m sorta planning my purchase cycle that way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I found it hilarious that he made a big deal of the alcantera interior, and then said something like "but it doesn't have the leather interior like a Porsche." Well, my 2011 has a full leather interior... seats, dash, armrests, headliner, hell the trunk lid has leather... seems like the interiors got cheaper and ****tier as the years passed.

·
Illegal Alien
4,688 Posts
I found it hilarious that he made a big deal of the alcantera interior, and then said something like "but it doesn't have the leather interior like a Porsche." Well, my 2011 has a full leather interior... seats, dash, armrests, headliner, hell the trunk lid has leather... seems like the interiors got cheaper and ****tier as the years passed.
Funny, Alcantara is a more expensive material than leather, the standard configuration is a combo of perforated leather and Alcantara while all leather or all Alcantara are NC options, while custom colors in either is a $4500 option. As to Porsche, his leather interior wasn't at NC.

·
Illegal Alien
4,688 Posts
But we hold our breath. I still carry hope that a true Lotus offering will happen in the not too distant future. 3 years? I’m sorta planning my purchase cycle that way.
Me too

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Maybe he's into leather.....like Mary....from the bus.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Funny, Alcantara is a more expensive material than leather, the standard configuration is a combo of perforated leather and Alcantara while all leather or all Alcantara are NC options, while custom colors in either is a $4500 option. As to Porsche, his leather interior wasn't at NC.
I haven't sat in a new GT so I cannot speak to that specifically, but I had the $3500 alcantara option on my previous Evora (2017 400). It felt CHEAP, wore prematurely, material sagged around the stitching, and overall, felt more like early 90s cloth interior than real alcantara. My current Evora has a leather package (also a 17 400) and both wife and I feel that its a much nicer place to sit than the older alcantara interior.

I test drove a Lexus LC500 with alcantara package. That felt premium and classy.

Bottom line: Not all alcantara is created equal, and in my experience, the Evora alcantara package feels poorly done.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting thoughts on the interiors... just goes to show how varied the opinions are. I looked at both leather and alcantara options and thought it to be a toss up. In the end I went with the option that complimented body color choice best.

As for the 1st gen interior, I literally couldn't bring myself to buy an Evora until the redesign. Combination of clashing interior material choices and nonsensical control layout was just too much for me so I waited all these years until they fixed that. But I'm a designer by trade, so...

WRT Doug, he just doesn't seem to be a big Lotus fan, and never seems excited by them compared to say, Matt Farah. But then Doug is more a car nerd, and Matt is a driving nerd...

·
Loves to talk
867 Posts
First I'll cover his quirks and features and then I'll give him a Lew score.

Doug's charming but his act is getting stale. The exterior styling was never that exciting and it hasn't aged all that well. Doug has a pleasant and amusing interior, but it too is starting to show its age as the cliches abound. Technically, his videos are among the lesser in the industry in terms of production values. Audio is particularly weak. They could use a refresh with new and better materials.

And now......the Lew score.

Doug's cool and well informed but there are lots of guys with those features making his weekend score just average at 26 out of 50.
He's a comfortable kind of guy and at least speaks decent English, is not pompous thus making his daily score a 28 out of 50, a little above the average for his occupation. His overall score is 54, about average for a general purpose car you tuber. Here's how he compares to some other tubers in his class and style......

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
Interesting thoughts on the interiors... just goes to show how varied the opinions are. I looked at both leather and alcantara options and thought it to be a toss up. In the end I went with the option that complimented body color choice best.

As for the 1st gen interior, I literally couldn't bring myself to buy an Evora until the redesign. Combination of clashing interior material choices and nonsensical control layout was just too much for me so I waited all these years until they fixed that. But I'm a designer by trade, so...

WRT Doug, he just doesn't seem to be a big Lotus fan, and never seems excited by them compared to say, Matt Farah. But then Doug is more a car nerd, and Matt is a driving nerd...
Well, Doug did buy an Elise yrs ago. Article on line.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's kind of silly how he makes fun of the back seats. I looked at a lot of cars that cost a lot more money. The back seats with 2 kids was a detail that cemented my decision on the Evora.

·
Illegal Alien
4,688 Posts
I haven't sat in a new GT so I cannot speak to that specifically, but I had the $3500 alcantara option on my previous Evora (2017 400). It felt CHEAP, wore prematurely, material sagged around the stitching, and overall, felt more like early 90s cloth interior than real alcantara. My current Evora has a leather package (also a 17 400) and both wife and I feel that its a much nicer place to sit than the older alcantara interior.

I test drove a Lexus LC500 with alcantara package. That felt premium and classy.

Bottom line: Not all alcantara is created equal, and in my experience, the Evora alcantara package feels poorly done.
Why didn't you file a warranty claim. As to Alcantara(R), all automotive fire resistance cloth is the same, now fit up may vary.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This review is from a channel called "More Doug DeMuro" with only 500k subscribers. It is not from the Doug DeMuro, autotrader.com channel. Where there are 3.2 million subscribers.

Regarding his review of the GT, this guy mentions that the front of the GT is different from the 400 "a more aggressive splitter..." the vents over the front wheels "they are design to make it a little bit more sportier..." that the rear openings are "designed to make it seem sportier and more exciting and thrilling than the other Evoras"

This dude could've gone to the Lotus website and checked the reason those vents are in the GT. (Sculpted carbon fiber ducts behind each rear wheel vent high pressure air from the wheel arches, balancing downforce across the whole car, per LOTUS)

It is obvious that this review and many of those are just to promote that dealership.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
The Suedetex on my supposedly inferior interior quality S1 2011 Evora S have been wearing like IRON. After 5+ seasons of track sweat, last fall I sprayed ttem down with Resolve Upholstery cleaner) scrubbed them a bit, and then wet rinsed them with multiple moist towels followed by baking in the hot 90 degree sun all day. Still look like new and 1x/yr I reapply some die to the driver's entry bolster. Guess we got better seats (Recaro) on our S1's than the 400 folks with their Sparcos...

Examples of "Doug" not doing his homework abound in his reviews. And, for me, the icing on the cake was how he bought the used Range Rover and kept getting it repaired...repeatedly. The dude wasn't smart enough to know he needed to go somewhere else...

Someone above nailed it..Doug is NOT a driver...he is a nerd, buttons and compartments are his specialty.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why didn't you file a warranty claim. As to Alcantara(R), all automotive fire resistance cloth is the same, now fit up may vary.
Whole car was a lemon and dealer stood by me and bought it back from me.

Sit in a high end Lexus with alcantara and sit in an evora 400. You will tell the difference.

I've never owned a pre 2017 evora, but I always thought from looking at them in person and in pictures that interior quality was better in older cars. For one thing, the recaros are far better than the sparcos. I also believe older cars' aluminum trim pieces were replaced with plastic in 400s and rear seats changed to basically Velcro pads.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Illegal Alien
4,688 Posts
Whole car was a lemon and dealer stood by me and bought it back from me.

Sit in a high end Lexus with alcantara and sit in an evora 400. You will tell the difference.

I've never owned a pre 2017 evora, but I always thought from looking at them in person and in pictures that interior quality was better in older cars. For one thing, the recaros are far better than the sparcos. I also believe older cars' aluminum trim pieces were replaced with plastic in 400s and rear seats changed to basically Velcro pads.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Unfortunate, sounds like you got a Saturday build special.

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
It's kind of silly how he makes fun of the back seats. I looked at a lot of cars that cost a lot more money. The back seats with 2 kids was a detail that cemented my decision on the Evora.
Doug often tries to get in the back seats, but I think he is 6'3". His audience likes it.

He makes fun of many cars' backseats. Part of his shtick.

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
The Suedetex on my supposedly inferior interior quality S1 2011 Evora S have been wearing like IRON. After 5+ seasons of track sweat, last fall I sprayed ttem down with Resolve Upholstery cleaner) scrubbed them a bit, and then wet rinsed them with multiple moist towels followed by baking in the hot 90 degree sun all day. Still look like new and 1x/yr I reapply some die to the driver's entry bolster. Guess we got better seats (Recaro) on our S1's than the 400 folks with their Sparcos...

Examples of "Doug" not doing his homework abound in his reviews. And, for me, the icing on the cake was how he bought the used Range Rover and kept getting it repaired...repeatedly. The dude wasn't smart enough to know he needed to go somewhere else...

Someone above nailed it..Doug is NOT a driver...he is a nerd, buttons and compartments are his specialty.
I think he bought RR because he likes them and also knew it'd be good fodder for his channel.

He was correct and the videos were very funny.

·
Illegal Alien
4,688 Posts
I think he bought RR because he likes them and also knew it'd be good fodder for his channel.

He was correct and the videos were very funny.
I think Dr John was hinting at taking the RR to another service shop, not of changing the brand

1 - 20 of 29 Posts