The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the Elise is going ~35mph at 6000rpm in first. So even in the lowest gear, you need to be going atleast that fast to get strong drive out of corners.

now, this means that in the real world, if you drop below 30, you're out of the power band no matter what. and if you've dropped down to 35-40mph, to get 6000rpm, you'll need to downshift to 1st.

Now, I am hesitant to do this. Every car I have driven, Elise included, has been reluctant to shift to first. In the Elise, its a balky, nerve inducing shift that accompanies a massive bootful of throttle and lack of clarity on just when it will go through and when you'll be able to get your hand back on the wheel.

Leave it in 2nd and you drop WAY out of the power band and all the magic is lost because you can't work the chassis.

So what do you guys do? just ram it forcibly to 1st as needed, and just live with the soft response in the really slow corners?

Maybe I need a supercharger?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah....I haven't noticed that problem since I went with the supercharger..........*evil grin*.....problem solved.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Go into the corner faster.. :)

Seriously Im in an Exige S and Im normally 1 gear higher in the same turn than the N/A lotus guys. As long as Im above 3500-4000RPM I have plenty of torque to sling shot me out of the corners.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
i feel hestitant sometimes to put it in 2nd cuz it gets violent

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
double-clutch. You'll go right into first if you get it right.

A supercharger won't hurt anything either. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts

A supercharger won't hurt anything either. :)
I'm still *trying* to perfect my heel-toe.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Don't shift to 1st unless you totally have to and it's butt slow. Otherwise... just say no.

Carry more speed in the corners. The amount you lose from dropping out of the power is not that big of a deal at those speeds. I would concentrate more on lines and how to carry more speed than worrying about the rpms.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Don't shift to 1st unless you totally have to and it's butt slow. Otherwise... just say no.

Carry more speed in the corners. The amount you lose from dropping out of the power is not that big of a deal at those speeds. I would concentrate more on lines and how to carry more speed than worrying about the rpms.
Dude! He wants to lower his times a little bit, not a lot!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
either double clutch or even heal and toe cleanly and its smooth as butter - not balky or jerky at all. but even lower speed turns in second gear it still has pretty good leverage so i have not found using second to really be a problem either.... unless for whatever reason you are going pretty poky, then first is very easy to downshift into.

if you want to know just how hard it can be to get down into first gear, get an old Alfa.....

·
Registered
933 Posts
I go into the corners with as much speed as I can manage. Depending on the track, I may shift down to second, but never first. Coming out of a corner strong is never a problem.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
First gear became useful after I switched to MT90, but a supercharger couldn't hurt either ;)

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
With a good heal/toe it's smooth as silk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts